Topics

Acces to distant computer by internet

Dear Sirs,

Can anybody describe me a way to access distant computer with a BBC
Basic programme? For instance suppose I want to update some programmes
or to transfer data or files to a distant computer through
internet,how can I proceed?

Best regards

--
Salomon CHABI

Richard Russell

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 11:21 am, CHABI Salomon wrote:
Can anybody describe me a way to access distant computer with a BBC
Basic programme?
You don't say what software will be running on the remote computer.  If you are planning on writing the code for *both* ends then it's pretty straightforward: you can use SOCKLIB to establish a connection between the machines and then everything is under your control.  You may have to devise your own protocol(s) for communicating between the two ends, but that need not be complicated.  It's no different from communicating between two processes on the same PC using sockets: you can use exactly the same code (any timeouts may need to be longer when connected via the internet, of course).

However if you are hoping to access the remote computer by writing code only at *one* end it will potentially be more difficult, because you would be forced to use a standard protocol that you can be sure the remote machine has built-in support for.  Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Richard.

Marcello

Dear Salomon,
The solution I may suggest is:
1 - create a 'listening socket' at the far end Pc
2 - create a 'socket connection' program at near end Pc

Remember that the far end Pc 'must' expose a static internet address.

Should you need support I can provide you copy of some functions and procedures I have written for the same purpose.

A different possibilty would be to expose public address at the near end Pc but it is a little more complicated.

Please note that availability of static internet address will be mandatory for these programs I have written.

Best regards

Marcello

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017, at 11:08, Marcello wrote:
Please note that availability of static internet address will be
mandatory for these programs I have written.
There are internet services which allow a dynamic (ie changing) internet
address to be visible. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

But you could create a simpler system of your own.

All you need is that a machine writes its current IP address to some
text
file in a public place - that could eg be a file with a fixed name on
one of
the cloud storage platforms.

Systems elsewhere wanting to talk to the first machine then only need
to read that text file to see what IP address they should be
communicating
with.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.