Topics

Splash Screen Competition

Richard Russell

The Android edition's User Interface is very minimalist, which I like and which I think suits BBC BASIC. However if we ever had ambitions of making it available via the Google Play Store this would never meet their requirements; it doesn't even announce the name or version of the app!

Therefore it would be highly desirable to display a splash screen on startup, either for a fixed period of time or until dismissed with a tap. Unfortunately I do not have an artistic bone in my body, so I am announcing a competition to design such a splash screen.

There are very few constraints on what the splash screen should look like:

  • First impressions count, so it should look attractive and professional.

  • It should contain the name of the app ('BBC BASIC'') and a version number that can easily be patched by me without upsetting the background.

  • It should work well on a wide range of display sizes and formats, for example it must be suitable for both landscape and portrait orientation.

  • Any logos or clip-art must be free from licensing restrictions.

Ideally it should be delivered in the form of a simple BMP file, but if there are dynamic elements or things that need to be adapted according to orientation I will accept some accompanying BASIC code.

I will close the competition and choose the winner (assuming more than one entry!) on 1st February, so you have about ten days to create something wonderful. If you think that isn't long enough, let me know.

There's no prize as such, other than knowing that your creation will be displayed whenever anybody starts the app. You can sign the work if you like, so long as you do so discreetly. I reserve the right not to use any of the submissions if I don't think they are up to scratch.

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 04:27 am, Richard Russell wrote:
I will close the competition and choose the winner (assuming more than one entry!) on 1st February
Just a few days left now if you want to submit an entry.

Richard.

JOHN WOODS

Is this the sort of thing that you want or have I misunderstood?  The font is BBCWin font and the patterns are generated by a BBC

Basic for Windows program which I wrote some time ago.  Not sure about the version number required but it's easily changed.
John Woods

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 09:51 am, JOHN WOODS wrote:
Is this the sort of thing that you want or have I misunderstood?
Er, I don't see a link to anything, so have no idea!   Please let us see what it is you have created (or send it to me privately if you don't want everybody to see it).  In case you tried to attach a file, remember that this is a discussion group: no attachments are allowed.

Many thanks to those who submitted splash screens for this competition; there were more entries than I anticipated in fact. There has been quite a variety of styles, from the minimalist to the complex, and from the tasteful to the garish!

I have found it impossible to choose just one, so instead I have whittled them down to a shortlist of three. I will create a poll to seek other people's opinions.

Richard.