Topics

Is TreeScan.bbc out there somewhere?

Paul Hooper

Googling TreeScan.bbc indicates that it used to be on the yahooGroup site - now gone I think, I used to be a member, can anyone point me to it, the program, anywhere?
My aim is to go through a given directory load each filename into a string parse it and change the name and rename the file with a new name, I suspect this might be a good starting point - I haven't dipped into BB4W for a long time so I am a bit rusty as to available libraries etc. Thanks Paul H

Richard Russell

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 08:29 am, <ph@...> wrote:
Googling TreeScan.bbc indicates that it used to be on the yahooGroup site
Indeed it was; I've copied it into the Files area of this group, in the Miscellaneous folder.

Looking at the code it's very Windows specific; these days (with BBC BASIC available for so many platforms) I prefer programs to be OS-agnostic and it's not difficult to do a directory scan by spooling the output of the *DIR command to a file.  Maybe somebody will adapt it.

Richard.

Paul Hooper

Thank you very much, if I come up with something useful I'll be back. BBC Basic - brilliant

Richard Russell

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 08:37 am, Richard Russell wrote:
Maybe somebody will adapt it.
If you want something done, do it yourself, so I've made a very quick hack of the Treescan program so that it will (or at least should) run on all supported platforms; there's an arbitrary limit of 1000 files in each directory.  The program is in the Miscellaneous folder as 'Treescan_agnostic.bbc'.   I give no guarantees of its quality, given how quickly it was produced.

Richard.