Registry).

From: Richard <yahoo@rtrussell.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 Time: 06:54:23

Do you own/moderate any groups?  As I understand it the main issue is
not the bugs, which can no doubt get fixed, but the fundamental changes
in Neo which mean it doesn't provide the features many moderators need.
At the moment it seems unlikely that Yahoo are going to backtrack on
this.

Richard

I own/moderate two Yahoo groups. They were switched to "neo" a few days
ago, and I found them completely unusable as a moderator.

However, after 24 hours they switched back to "legacy" format, and the
world is well again.

Presumably Yahoo will fix the missing moderator features and then switch me back to "neo" again in due course.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

Richard Russell

--- In bb4w@..., Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:
> Presumably Yahoo will fix the missing moderator features and then
> switch me back to "neo" again in due course.

I guess it rather depends on whether the 'missing' moderator features are compatible with the way Yahoo see the future of groups.  Here is their take on the new interface:

 http://yahoogroups.tumblr.com/

"We're pretty excited about it. We hope you are too" - there's certainly no shortage of reaction!

Richard.

Ian_Wade_G3NRW

(Copied from the "Registry" thread -- my fault for originally mentioning the new Yahoo world in a message about the Registry!)

From: softappstudio@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 Time: 18:21:06

Not sure what this has to do with the Registry, but as far as a public
store for BB4W library and user files, THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT.
So I wish you every success Richard, seriously.
--Grahame

Agreed.

But even with the "neo" interface, you can still get to the Files, Photos and other archives by going to:

The original links are still there on the left.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

J.G.Harston

Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:
But even with the "neo" interface, you can still get to the Files,
Photos and other archives by going to:
The original links are still there on the left.
can get there from the "More v" drop-down menu - which wasn't
there a week or so ago last time I looked!

JGH

Richard Russell

--- In bb4w@..., Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:
> But even with the "neo" interface, you can still get to the Files,
> Photos and other archives by going to:

You should be able to, but people were reporting files and messages missing. There have also been concerns expressed about the search functionality.  Whether they have now been fixed I don't know, but there doesn't seem to have been any reduction in the number of complaints in general:

http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/4276993-return-groups-format-to-prior-format-that-works-?page=1

(more than 28,000 votes so far!)

--- In bb4w@yahoogroups.com, "J.G.Harston" <jgh@...> wrote:
can get there from the "More v" drop-down menu
As has been pointed out elsewhere, one of the silly things at the moment is that different people will see different pages when visiting a Yahoo Groups URL such as the one you quoted above. Those who have not been Neo'd, like me, simply see the old familiar interface. Those that have, which I presume includes you, see something quite different.

That is currently making it very difficult for owners/moderators to assist group members, because they don't know what they'll see if given a URL to visit. However generous you may be inclined to be towards Yahoo, this whole Neo business was not thought out!

The dire 'Neo' Groups Experience is making this group (and the other Yahoo! groups I frequent) unusable.  In particular two major bugs are causing problems:

1.  Posted messages are often invisible, or only partly visible, or can only be seen by clicking on the ellipsis.  Even when messages are visible, they are often blank in the summary page.

2.  Posted messages which are identified as possibly spam are disappearing entirely rather than appearing as messages requiring approval.  If a message you have posted has never appeared on the group this is probably why.

With immediate effect, and until further notice, this is no longer the 'official' support group for BBC BASIC for Windows.  I will not be regularly monitoring it nor responding to queries posted here.  If you require support, please post your question to the BB4W message board at http://bb4w.conforums.com/

--- In bb4w@..., <bb4w@...> wrote:

> With immediate effect, and until further notice, this is no longer the

> 'official' support group for BBC BASIC for Windows.

I've seen a couple of slightly strange reactions to this announcement.  One person said that I had "closed down" the group - which of course I haven't - and another that the group's Files area is "not available anymore" - when (at least as far as I know) it is.

Unless Yahoo have mucked things up even more than I thought, it should still be possible to upload a file to the group and publish a link to it, for example on the Conforums board.

Richard.

Ian_Wade_G3NRW

From: yahoo@rtrussell.co.uk
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 Time: 09:10:01

-- In bb4w@yahoogroups.com, <bb4w@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
With immediate effect, and until further notice, this is no longer the
 'official' support group for BBC BASIC for Windows.
I've seen a couple of slightly strange reactions to this announcement.  One
person said that I had "closed down" the group - which of course I haven't -
and another that the group's Files area is "not available anymore" - when
(at least as far as I know) it is.
OK, I admit it. I was the one who misread your announcement and assumed
you were closing down the group. I stand corrected!

Unless Yahoo have mucked things up even more than I thought, it should
still be possible to upload a file to the group and publish a link to it, for
example on the Conforums board.
In my experience of the new neo groups, Yahoo have indeed "mucked things
up", good and proper. I have had to change a number of URLs on my web
pages that pointed to files in Yahoo Files areas Those URLs don't work
any more. I have had to change them to point to the *folder* containing
the file of interest, rather than direct to the file itself.

I think it's called progress...

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

J.G.Harston

Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:
> In my experience of the new neo groups, Yahoo have indeed "mucked
> things up", good and proper.

It's a complete mess. One of the Yahoo Groups I'm subscribed to still
has the easily-navigable web front end, the other ten have changed to the
neo front end, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net

Richard Russell

--- In bb4w@..., <bb4w@...> wrote:
> I have had to change a number of URLs on my web
> pages that pointed to files in Yahoo Files areas Those URLs don't work
> any more. I have had to change them to point to the *folder* containing
> the file of interest, rather than direct to the file itself.

Oh.  If you can't any longer link directly to the file then I agree it's effectively unusable as a respository for things like updated libraries.

Richard.

dai_m_leeds

 I've just been Neo'd, and I can't say it's a particularly pleasant experience.

I note that the "Temp" folder in the "files" area doesn't seem to link correctly, though others do (I haven't tested them exhaustively).

I'd assumed we'd still be able to use this as a file repository, though it sounds like even that is problematic...