Topics

Wikispaces is closing down

Richard Russell
 

Wikispaces (who host the BB4W and LBB wiki) are closing down later in the year; here is the official announcement.

The two big advantages of Wikispaces over most other wiki hosting sites are the freedom from advertisements (and therefore the uncluttered nature of the pages) and the syntax colouring; it is the only wiki I know that supports syntax colouring for BBC BASIC.

We have discussed our options before, when Wikispaces introduced an annual subscription, but the very fact that people have been prepared to pay shows that no entirely satisfactory alternative has been identified.

Richard.

Alex Farlie
 

So you are aware i have no objection to my content contributions to this site being archived in appropriate form.

Storer, Darren
 

Hi Richard,

Would it be possible to provide an archive of the BB4W Wiki before it closes? Some time ago I seem to remember a thread about requesting access to an archive but I'm happy to make my own if there is a simple procedure.

Many thanks

Darren
 

On 12 February 2018 at 16:47, Richard Russell <news@...> wrote:
Wikispaces (who host the BB4W and LBB wiki) are closing down later in the year; here is the official announcement.

The two big advantages of Wikispaces over most other wiki hosting sites are the freedom from advertisements (and therefore the uncluttered nature of the pages) and the syntax colouring; it is the only wiki I know that supports syntax colouring for BBC BASIC.

We have discussed our options before, when Wikispaces introduced an annual subscription, but the very fact that people have been prepared to pay shows that no entirely satisfactory alternative has been identified.

Richard.


Richard Russell
 

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:16 am, Storer, Darren wrote:
I seem to remember a thread about requesting access to an archive but I'm happy to make my own if there is a simple procedure.
I think we established fairly recently that Wikispaces at some point 'changed the rules' and only an organiser (which means me or Jonathan) can initiate an export.  But before doing that we need to know in which format it will be most useful (there are nine different formats on offer!) and that in turn depends on where we propose to move it, if anywhere.  Previous attempts at making a decision have not got very far, but of course then we had the option of sticking with Wikispaces - at a cost.  Now we don't.

Richard.

Andrew Cool
 

Can we hedge our bets by exporting all 9 different formats?

 

Andrew


Virus-free. www.avg.com

Storer, Darren
 

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the clarification about export formats. A quick Google search didn't bring up the list of export types but I did spot that static HTML was available; from a selfish viewpoint, this would serve my needs. 

Please could I have a static HTML export of the BB4W wiki? Whilst static an HTML version wouldn't be trivially extensible, it will be very easy to browse and on occasion I could manually update pages locally.

On the other hand, the option of PDF format was not attractive at all...

Many thanks

Darren

On 12 February 2018 at 22:10, Richard Russell <news@...> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:16 am, Storer, Darren wrote:
I seem to remember a thread about requesting access to an archive but I'm happy to make my own if there is a simple procedure.
I think we established fairly recently that Wikispaces at some point 'changed the rules' and only an organiser (which means me or Jonathan) can initiate an export.  But before doing that we need to know in which format it will be most useful (there are nine different formats on offer!) and that in turn depends on where we propose to move it, if anywhere.  Previous attempts at making a decision have not got very far, but of course then we had the option of sticking with Wikispaces - at a cost.  Now we don't.

Richard.


Richard Russell
 

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:53 pm, Storer, Darren wrote:
Please could I have a static HTML export of the BB4W wiki?
I don't think it makes sense to do anything yet.  The wiki doesn't close down until September and before then new articles may be added or existing articles edited.  Nor do I want people to keep 'private' copies that cannot be edited or added to; the whole point of a wiki is that it is a shared, user-editable resource (this has been discussed here before, I think).

So rather than panic, which there is no reason to yet, can we please put our efforts into trying to find a new home for the wiki.

Richard.

J.G.Harston
 

I've been planning on moving my Whitby Wiki[1] onto my own server to have more control over the layout and get rid of the adverts. To remind myself of the process I've done a test setup of a BBC BASIC Wiki: http://bbwiki.mdfs.net

The markup syntax is different, but I wrote some code some time ago that does the bulk of translation, leaving about 10% needing manual assistance. If this is acceptable I can do a bulk export and transfer everything from WikiSpaces and do the manual massaging.

As long as every five years I remember to renew the domain subscriptions and I keep paying my electricity bills there's nothing else that needs doing.

[1] http://whitby.wikia.com/wiki/Whitby_Wiki

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh

Richard Russell
 

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 07:07 am, J.G.Harston wrote:
If this is acceptable I can do a bulk export
I am sure you understand, but in no circumstances would I consider it acceptable for the wiki to be hosted on a private server such as yours, sorry. I would also like to remind everybody that contributors to the wiki retain Intellectual Property Rights to the material they submit; the content is not 'copyright free'.   Strictly speaking that probably prevents me moving the wiki to another host without getting the permission of every contributor, but I hope that in practice common sense would apply and that nobody would raise any objections.

Richard.