Topics

BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v0.20a on macOS

Rob McKay

Hi Richard,

Thank you for all of your hard work in making BBC BASIC for SDL.

I have a couple of niggles with BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 on macOS.

The first on is that it uses the Ctrl key, rather than the Cmd key for keyboard shortcuts like copy and paste.

The second is that keyword shortcuts such as P. for PRINT don't seem to work.

Regards,

Rob

Richard Russell

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 09:25 am, Rob McKay wrote:
it uses the Ctrl key, rather than the Cmd key for keyboard shortcuts like copy and paste.
All the editions of BBCSDL - Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Android, Raspberry Pi - share the same code and it's the responsibility of the SDL 2.0 'abstraction layer' to determine how it maps to the specific features of each platform.  If the usual convention is for the Ctrl key in Windows and Linux to map to the Cmd key in Mac OS then SDL would need to do it, but evidently it doesn't.  If you feel really strongly about it I suggest you raise the issue at the SDL forum.

The second is that keyword shortcuts such as P. for PRINT don't  seem to work.
They don't work in BBC BASIC for Windows either, in the (common) situation in which the 'Accept Keyword Abbreviations' option is disabled.  The main reason is that keyword abbreviations conflict with the structure syntax.  For example suppose one defines a structure P thus:

      DIM P{member1, member2}

Then to initialise the members of the structure one would do something like:

      P.member1 = one
      P.member2 = two

But of course if keyword abbreviations were enabled those would expand to:

      PRINTmember1 = one
      PRINTmember2 = two

which makes no sense.  But, as I always say, one reason why the BBCSDL IDEs are written in BASIC is to allow individual users to tailor them to their own requirements.  If you feel that accepting keyword abbreviations is more important than compatibility with structure syntax feel free to modify the code yourself.

Richard.