Topics

locked Splash Screen

DaveinSpain

Richard, the splash screen works on both my Android 5.1 tablet and Android 7.0 phone however, it only displays for half a second or less (once I saw it for 2-3 seconds but can't repeat this). I would suggest that it stays on until the screen is tapped. The chosen screen is too "busy" to view if less than one second. For this reason I would have chosen the Roundel. I tried to vote but somehow found that I couldn't.

Would it be possible to supply all three screens so that we can choose the one we want?

Well done, Richard, on a remarkable product.

Dave N

On Feb 3, 2018 01:27, Richard Russell <news@...> wrote:
Looks like we have a clear favourite; here are the aggregated votes from the forum and the group:

Rocket: 5
Roundel: 7
Slate: 13

So congratulations to Paul Marshall (author of Dibley) who submitted the Slate design.

I admit it's probably not the choice I would have made (I didn't vote) because green text on a black background reminds me too much of old VDUs from the pre-BBC Micro era - not exactly the impression of a 21st Century product I might have preferred!

But what do I know? I will go along with the 'will of the majority' as seems to be the trend these days - at least it's not an irreversible decision that will have an adverse effect lasting for decades..... grin

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 06:13 am, daveinspain101 wrote:
Richard, the splash screen works on both my Android 5.1 tablet and Android 7.0 phone however, it only displays for half a second or less (once I saw it for 2-3 seconds but can't repeat this).
It should always (and in my tests does) display for at least one second.

I would suggest that it stays on until the screen is tapped.
I have tried dozens of Android apps to see how their splash screens behave and NOT A SINGLE ONE works that way.  The purpose of the splash screen is twofold: firstly to identify the app and its version number and secondly to display something whilst it is initialising.  For the first, a display period of one second is plenty, which is why that is set as the minimum.  For the second, it displays at least until initialisation is complete if longer.

The chosen screen is too "busy" to view if less than one second.
You are not expected to "view" the screen; it is not a work of art!

For my liking, displaying the splash screen for a whole second is too long.  I have got used to BBC BASIC starting 'instantly' on my very fast phone, and having to wait for the splash screen to disappear annoys me.   But I recognise that most people's devices are slower than mine and probably take at least a second to start up anyway, and some kind of 'title' screen will be a requirement if it is ever to qualify for the App Store.

Would it be possible to supply all three screens so that we can choose the one we want?
Technically possible?  Of course.  Something I would consider?  Not a chance!

I have locked the Splash Screen thread(s) because the decision is made - it's done and dusted.  Indeed I've now released a version of BBCSDL with the splash screen incorporated, and it would make no sense to revisit it after three months (when the next release - if there is one - is due) because by then everybody will be thoroughly used to it.

Richard.