Date   
Re: Dibley

Richard Russell
 

In response to the multiple comments about the 'Back' button causing the program to exit with an error message, I have made the necessary trivial change to Dibley to stop that happening.  The new APK can be downloaded from the same address as before:

 https://www.dropbox.com/s/muu8sr9ffurjweg/dibley.apk?dl=0  

This doesn't advance the testing of my BBC to APK converter but I hope it may remove a distraction.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell
 

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 03:45 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
I know you cant have an application that only works for some people but it should be encouraging if a number of us confirm that it is working.
As you say, a utility that creates APKs that only work on some devices is about as useful as a chocolate teapot (some versions have 'chocolate fireguard', take your pick)!  I will, of course, be happy to take it out of mothballs if and when the cause of the incompatibility is established and a solution found.  I have described the issue in more detail at the forum, since it's too specialised for discussion here - and I know from experience that highly technical posts are prone to provoke resignations from the group.  If anybody has the expertise to help, please join in at the forum.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

Paul Marshall
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 02:41 pm, Richard Russell wrote:
I'm almost pleased that my utility has the bug so that I can abandon it with a clear conscience
Please dont give up! It must be immensely frustrating that it doesnt work on a couple of devices and it cant help that people dont read the whole thread, and that in my case I forget what you've already told me.  I know you cant have an application that only works for some people but it should be encouraging if a number of us confirm that it is working.

Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 01:58 pm, Robin Hodson wrote:
Only when I pressed the back button, which I now know emulates the
escape key, did something break
I give up.  Here is the response to Paul Marshall that I posted earlier today, which NOBODY seems to have read:

"On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:20 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
pressing Escape gives a 'File or path not found" error.
Needless to say, this was simply intended as a quick demo of my (it appears broken) utility to create an APK from a BBC; I didn't make any changes to Dibley.bbc.  Typically you are going to need to adapt a program before it is suitable as a standalone app, not least that there ought to be no way for it to 'quit' (or exit to immediate mode).  Android apps never 'terminate' as such, other than through the user 'force closing' them, and indeed if you allow a BBC BASIC program to quit you will end up with a 'zombie' process still running in the background.

And before anybody (JGH?) says that they think it should be the responsibility of BBC BASIC itself or of the BBC2APK utility 'automatically' to modify the behaviour of the program from how it works when run from the IDE, I totally disagree!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I'm almost pleased that my utility has the bug so that I can abandon it with a clear conscience.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

Robin Hodson
 

On 14/2/2018 1756, Richard Russell wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:29 am, Chris Fry wrote:

I don’t know if that helps.

Unfortunately knowing that it works doesn't help at all -  it works on
all my devices too!  I am waiting to hear whether my recently modified
'dibley.apk' fixes the problem for those who are suffering it, i.e.
Robin Hodson and David Nichols.  If it does I will at least have a
workaround, but if not I'm as much in the dark as ever.
Dibley, once I searched through these messages for where to download it,
for the benefit of anyone else mystified:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/muu8sr9ffurjweg/dibley.apk?dl=0

... Works fine, including sound.
I didn't even have to clear my cache.

Only when I pressed the back button, which I now know emulates the
escape key, did something break, this time saying:

>File or path not found
>_

At this point, PRINT PAGE'LOMEM'END'HIMEM produced:

4396800
4410090
4423694
6493952




---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell
 

Chris Fry and David Nichols: why do you not accept the explanation that I gave to Paul Marshall for the 'File or path not found error'?  Indeed he was kind enough to recognise that the error arises from the Dibley.bbc program itself, not from my BBC2APK tool, but you seem to want to assign the blame entirely to me.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

 

I also get (file or path not found) on my OnePlus 2 running Oxygen=S 3.6.1,

 

But the game works!

 

Chris

 


From: bb4w@groups.io [mailto:bb4w@groups.io] On Behalf Of daveinspain101
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:14 PM
To: bb4w@groups.io
Subject: Re: [bb4w] Testers wanted

 

Downloaded the new Dibley app and find that it now works but doesn't know where to go on exit (file or path not found)
Dave N

Re: Testers wanted

DaveinSpain
 

Downloaded the new Dibley app and find that it now works but doesn't know where to go on exit (file or path not found)
Dave N

On Feb 14, 2018 18:56, Richard Russell <news@...> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:29 am, Chris Fry wrote:
I don’t know if that helps.
Unfortunately knowing that it works doesn't help at all -  it works on all my devices too!  I am waiting to hear whether my recently modified 'dibley.apk' fixes the problem for those who are suffering it, i.e. Robin Hodson and David Nichols.  If it does I will at least have a workaround, but if not I'm as much in the dark as ever.

Richard.

Re: Saving an area of the screen

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:57 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
David's graphic capabilities are indeed awesome but it isnt likely I shall go to that level.
If you aspire to writing a program with the performance (not necessarily the complexity) of Forces of Darkness you will have to bite the bullet of either using David's library in BB4W or calling SDL functions in BBCSDL.  I would argue that the latter is easier, if only because the functions are better documented than David's are.  In an ideal world I'd like there to be a pair of 2D graphics libraries (one for BB4W and one for BBCSDL) which would encapsulate those functions and provide a common, platform-independent, interface to the user's program - as I have already done for 3D.

Richard.

Re: Saving an area of the screen

Paul Marshall
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 04:59 am, Richard Russell wrote:
copy the block from the visible area into the off-screen area,
Neat idea thanks Richard. Just the sort of simple solution I was looking for, it will be fast enough for me. David's graphic capabilities are indeed awesome but it isnt likely I shall go to that level.

Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:29 am, Chris Fry wrote:
I don’t know if that helps.
Unfortunately knowing that it works doesn't help at all -  it works on all my devices too!  I am waiting to hear whether my recently modified 'dibley.apk' fixes the problem for those who are suffering it, i.e. Robin Hodson and David Nichols.  If it does I will at least have a workaround, but if not I'm as much in the dark as ever.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

 

I downloaded the FOD.apk and it worked perfectly, although it was a little slow to load everything.

I was using a OnePlus 2

 

I don’t know if that helps. Maybe I should try with Dibley, too.

 

Chris Fry
Barcelona

 


From: bb4w@groups.io [mailto:bb4w@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Russell
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:06 PM
To: bb4w@groups.io
Subject: Re: [bb4w] Testers wanted

 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:51 am, Robin Hodson wrote:

Still says "String too long" as before.

Yes, thanks, David Nichols confirmed that as well in another thread.  I've put my utility on the back burner because it's obviously seriously broken, and I have no idea what the cause is.  It's a good thing I found out about this before releasing it, you have saved me some embarrassment!  I've now deleted FOD.apk.

Richard.

Re: Dibley

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:05 am, Richard Russell wrote:
It's not a case of 'giving up', it's a case of not having a clue!
Can you try Dibley again, please (same link as before, you may need to clear your cache to guarantee picking up the new version)?  I have an inkling as to what may be going on, and I've made a trivial change to the code which will indicate whether I'm on the right track or not.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:51 am, Robin Hodson wrote:
Still says "String too long" as before.
Yes, thanks, David Nichols confirmed that as well in another thread.  I've put my utility on the back burner because it's obviously seriously broken, and I have no idea what the cause is.  It's a good thing I found out about this before releasing it, you have saved me some embarrassment!  I've now deleted FOD.apk.

Richard.

Re: Testers wanted

Robin Hodson
 

On 13/2/2018 2223, Richard Russell wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:32 pm, Robin Hodson wrote:
>
> 4396800
>
> The failure is apparently happening when the main program 'Fod.bbc' is
> CHAINed, and the 'String too long' message makes me wonder whether for
> some reason the file paths are exceptionally long on your device -
> perhaps the file-system hierarchy is deeper than usual. To test that
> hypothesis, which I'm by no means confident of, I've rebuilt FOD.apk
> with a larger path name buffer. Perhaps you would be kind enough to
> download it (from the same link as before) and let me know if it makes
> any difference.


Still says "String too long" as before.

Not much difference with memory pointers:

>PRINT PAGE'LOMEM'END'HIMEM
4396800
4397793
4397793
6493952
>

I know the APK file is different because the filesize is different.
vers1: 40,929,490 bytes
vers2: 40,774,645 bytes



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Re: Dibley

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:20 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
pressing Escape gives a 'File or path not found" error.
Needless to say, this was simply intended as a quick demo of my (it appears broken) utility to create an APK from a BBC; I didn't make any changes to Dibley.bbc.  Typically you are going to need to adapt a program before it is suitable as a standalone app, not least that there ought to be no way for it to 'quit' (or exit to immediate mode).  Android apps never 'terminate' as such, other than through the user 'force closing' them, and indeed if you allow a BBC BASIC program to quit you will end up with a 'zombie' process still running in the background.

And before anybody (JGH?) says that they think it should be the responsibility of BBC BASIC itself or of the BBC2APK utility 'automatically' to modify the behaviour of the program from how it works when run from the IDE, I totally disagree!

Richard.

Re: Dibley

Paul Marshall
 

Dibley is installing and running fine on my tablet, phone and Android TV. 

The only issue is on the TV with it's keyboard pressing Escape gives a 'File or path not found" error. That would normally run the touchide so I need to revise the exit strategy. 
  

Re: Dibley

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 05:47 am, daveinspain101 wrote:
Don't give up just yet,
It's not a case of 'giving up', it's a case of not having a clue!  I had hoped that my hypothesis about the size of the file path buffer might be right, but although the OP hasn't responded it appears from your report that it hasn't helped.

Richard.

Re: Dibley

DaveinSpain
 

Only two of us so far, Richard. How many have played either of them successfully and not reported that they worked? And yes, Dibley plays fine with BB4Android!

|... but you can't win them all

Why not? Don't give up just yet, if anyone can, you can!

Dave N

On Feb 14, 2018 14:04, Richard Russell <news@...> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 03:17 am, daveinspain101 wrote:
I have downloaded the "Dibley" app and get the same results on the splash screen. Error message is "String too long"
OK, so clearly my 'BBC2APK' tool for creating an Android app from a BBC BASIC program isn't working.  It was a nice idea, but you can't win them all.

Presumably you can still run Dibley OK from BBCSDL itself?

Richard.

Re: Dibley

Richard Russell
 

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 03:17 am, daveinspain101 wrote:
I have downloaded the "Dibley" app and get the same results on the splash screen. Error message is "String too long"
OK, so clearly my 'BBC2APK' tool for creating an Android app from a BBC BASIC program isn't working.  It was a nice idea, but you can't win them all.

Presumably you can still run Dibley OK from BBCSDL itself?

Richard.