Fra: bb4w@groups.io [mailto:bb4w@groups.io]
Sendt: 14. juni 2022 23:20
Til: bb4w@groups.io
Emne: [bb4w] BBC BASIC forum - Miscellaneous • Re: Where have all the programmers gone?
#feed

Miscellaneous • Re: Where have all the programmers gone?

By Hated Moron

I could port my animating graphics demos and various GUI programs I've made recently to BBCSDL, they might make good example programs.

I'm sure they would be welcome, but it's not a lack of example programs that particularly concerns me (hopefully there are already enough to cover virtually every application type) but rather the loss of expertise in key areas such as writing top-quality video games.

As things stand we can't ever expect a BBC BASIC program to win a prize in a SyntaxBomb games programming contest again, as three of David Williams's programs (and at least one by another author) have in the past. I find this really depressing.

It feels to me that at the same time as I've been trying to improve the capabilities of BBC BASIC (for example in writing the gfxlib and imglib libraries) the interest in using such capabilities, by the user community, has declined.

Statistics: Posted by Hated Moron — Tue 14 Jun 2022, 20:48