Re: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v1.00a released

Martin

On 03/02/2019 10:28, Richard Russell wrote:
On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 10:20 PM, R.E. wrote:

Or do I need to load BBC basic on a Mac (I don't have one) and
compile it there?
Yes. There are several reasons why you must 'compile' (that is,
create an application bundle) on the target platform. Firstly the
process must, of course, have access to the correct edition of the
run-time engine. Secondly, it is highly likely that the process will
rely on tools that are only available on the target platform (that is
certainly true of MacOS, on which the 'hdiutil' utility must be used
to create the .dmg file).
Last, but not least, it is essential that you test your program on
every platform that you target.
[snip]

I agree with all that. However, there is a way to achieve it without owning a Mac, which I use to develop a program on Windows, then make it available to a friend on a Mac.

I have installed TeamViewer on my machine, and on the (remote) Mac. It is free for personal use - and secure! This enables me to easily move files from my machine to the Mac, and then to use the Mac remotely to install BBCBASIC SDL and use it to Compile and test my program, all from my Windows machine.

In your case, you just need one of your friends who is willing to install TeamViewer and allow you to use it, and to give you any help with the very different ways to use a Mac if you are not familiar. Note that they will always have to authorise your use. The 'Compilation' results in a single file which can be installed in the Mac applications directory. That file can then be simply used by other Mac users to install on their machines.