Re: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v1.00a released

John Alfred

Thanks Richard,

That's amazing !

I now have BASIC on my iPhone, and an old Android-SAMSUNG.

I'm still getting to grips with the Android version, and might have a few questions yet. I'm really looking forward to getting the 'Cross-compiler' version going !

John A

On Saturday, 2 February 2019, 14:54:50 GMT, Richard Russell <news@...> wrote:

I have today released version 1.00a of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0, the cross-platform programming language for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Raspberry Pi, Android and iOS (I recently canvassed opinion on whether it was appropriate to allocate this version number, and the consensus was to do so).  The changes in this version are as follows:

IDEs / Compiler:
  1. SDLIDE can now load Acorn-format programs (however no ARM BASIC 5 token substitution takes place).
  2. SDLIDE supports the Cross Reference add-in utility, which is very similar to that provided with BB4W.
BASIC Interpreter / Run Time Engine:
  1. The MODE statement in the ARM and 64-bit interpreters now ignores the high bit (so MODE 135 is the same as MODE 7), as it always has in the 32-bit x86 editions.
  2. The ARM (32-bit) assembler's ALIGN directive can take a numeric parameter, causing it to emit (if necessary) NOP instructions to achieve the specified alignment.  It has been found that aligning a small time-critical loop on an 8-byte boundary (ALIGN 8) can significantly improve performance.
Libraries: The following libraries have been added:
  1. ellipse.bbc: This is functionally equivalent to the BB4W library of the same name.
  2. treeview.bbc: This implements a Tree View control similar to that available in Windows (with thanks to Svein).
Example Programs: The following example programs have been added:
  1. seascape.bbc: A demonstration of the power of GPU shaders; it needs a fast GPU for good performance and may not work on all machines.
  2. ellipses.bbc: The 'angled ellipses' demonstration as supplied with BB4W.
This new version may be downloaded, for all the supported platforms, from the usual location.  The GitHub repository (used to build the MacOS, Raspberry Pi, iOS and 64-bit Linux editions, currently) has been updated.