Re: dlgdemo with keypad

Ian_Wade_G3NRW

Message understood. Don't worry, you are not discouraging me at all. Just the opposite. Your "re-orientation" comments are most useful.

--
Ian

On 02/03/2018 09:50, Richard Russell wrote:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 12:04 am, Ian_Wade_G3NRW wrote:
I had a hunch you might say something like this. It's coming home to
me that my mindset for writing Android apps is quite inappropriate.
The last thing I want to be is discouraging, but on the other hand it's better to nip bad habits in the bud before they get too ingrained. There's nothing special about Android's typical user interface, indeed it's just the same as you might get in a Windows video game.  Take for example 'Dibley' or 'Dropperz' or 'Forces of Darkness'; they are all games written initially for a desktop platform, yet when the user is asked to select options (maybe to enter his name, or enable or disable sound) he isn't presented with a 'dialogue box' but with a bold, colourful screen with chunky buttons.  The functionality is the same, but the UI suits the 'look and feel' of the rest of the program.
By the nature of having to interface with them using a small touchscreen, virtually all Android apps - whether they be games or online banking apps - present a similar style of interface: highly graphical, simple to operate even with 'fat fingers' or when wearing gloves, perhaps with audible feedback.  As Paul pointed out, this is easy to do in BBC BASIC, indeed it's the sort of interface a BBC Micro program might have presented 35 years ago!   Dialogue boxes have their place, but it's principally in desktop applications which are primarily keyboard-and-mouse driven and where the rest of the program is using a similar 'formal' style of interface.