Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 01:48 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
it doesnt appear to matter what the company name is.
Of course it matters!  Did you not read the supplied help file, which I recommended that everybody study before trying to use the utility?  The package name must be 'globally unique'; if you don't have a domain and just 'make up' the name there is every likelihood the somebody else might have chosen the same name.  In that case if an end-user, who had previously installed the 'other' app, installed yours it would wipe out the original!

You can't even argue that you can change the name should such a situation come to light, since once allocated you can never change the package name(because it will break the 'app update' process whereby a newer version automatically replaces the older one).

If you haven't got a domain I strongly recommend that you obtain one; they are very cheap.  But even if you don't, you still have the option of (hopefully) guaranteeing uniqueness by using a 'reversed' email address as the initial part of the package name.

Releasing Android apps to the 'wide world' requires that you adopt a professional approach, just as releasing 'compiled' BB4W executables does.  Since all such EXEs and apps made using BBC2APK contain details that allow them to be traced back to me, it could reflect badly on me if you don't.