Re: 64 bit MAC software.

Richard Russell

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 01:59 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
in my view it is time to create a new product optimised for 64 bit but compatible where possible. Call it say BB64 with a new logo and new filetype to emphasise it is not compatible
Created by whom?   To date I've not managed to interest anybody in taking over BBC BASIC from me, not even to maintain and support the existing versions let alone to develop a completely new one.  Isn't this completely pie in the sky?

Even when 32bit support ceases the machines themselves will be around for a very
> long time and the 32bit and 64bit versions can and should co-exist

The machines may be around, but if they've been updated to the latest version of the OS (and often this happens automatically) they may no longer be able to run 32-bit apps.  For example I have a Mac Mini on which I can currently install and run BBC BASIC but within the next couple of years it will receive an OS update from Apple which will prevent it from doing so.

Only by disconnecting a machine from the internet and quarantining it can you ensure continued ability to install and run 32-bit apps, but who is going to do that these days with the need to update virus databases, patch security holes, etc.?  It may be OK for a museum, but not much else.

I am not a Mac user so for totally selfish reasons I prefer you to focus on windows and SDL

Some slight confusion there I think, the Mac OS version of BBC BASIC is BBCSDL!   I have two current BBC BASIC products: BBC BASIC for Windows which runs on Windows only and BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 (32 bits) which runs on Windows, Linux (x86), Mac OSX, Android and Raspberry Pi.  I am, from time to time, experimenting with a 64-bit BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0, the Windows edition of which I have already made available for download (although the full compatibility implications are not apparent because Windows preferentially allocates user memory in the bottom 2 Gbytes so 32-bit addresses are still sufficient).