Re: Testers wanted

Richard Russell

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 01:58 pm, Robin Hodson wrote:
Only when I pressed the back button, which I now know emulates the
escape key, did something break
I give up.  Here is the response to Paul Marshall that I posted earlier today, which NOBODY seems to have read:

"On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 06:20 am, Paul Marshall wrote:
pressing Escape gives a 'File or path not found" error.
Needless to say, this was simply intended as a quick demo of my (it appears broken) utility to create an APK from a BBC; I didn't make any changes to Dibley.bbc.  Typically you are going to need to adapt a program before it is suitable as a standalone app, not least that there ought to be no way for it to 'quit' (or exit to immediate mode).  Android apps never 'terminate' as such, other than through the user 'force closing' them, and indeed if you allow a BBC BASIC program to quit you will end up with a 'zombie' process still running in the background.

And before anybody (JGH?) says that they think it should be the responsibility of BBC BASIC itself or of the BBC2APK utility 'automatically' to modify the behaviour of the program from how it works when run from the IDE, I totally disagree!"

I'm almost pleased that my utility has the bug so that I can abandon it with a clear conscience.