From: wilsr747 <wilsr@...>
To: bb4w@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 4 February 2018, 22:50
Subject: Re: [bb4w] Splash Screen Poll

On 04-Feb-18 23:22, Paul Marshall wrote:
> I fear the time has passed. Never again will children experience the joy of
> going into Currys and typing  10 PRINT "Hello"  20 GOTO 10  on whatever
> machine was on display!   Programming has come so far it will only ever be of
> interest  to a very  limited number of highly technically minded individuals
> who pursue it as a career and even then Basic will not be one of those
> languages. As a hobby in itself where is it? I dont know how you can make it
> appeal to young people in the way it did to us. What was it that captured our
> imaginations?
> The nostalgia element IS a big part of BBC Basic. I've just had fun running
> the Ceefax demo on my state-of-the-art TV. It works brilliantly but will I now
> use it instead of the red button? No. I love those demos of the Z80 music
> program. For me now age 70 it was at the time amazing (still is) but what
> would a young person think of it now?   Does anyone care about Mode 7 any
> longer?  I'm not knocking the included demos but we do need something more up
> to date to inspire the new user.
> We know BBC Basic is capable of so much more. I recall at work we created
> programs to perform various functions. Then professional programmers were
> called in to build the proper Mark II version. They looked on in stunned
> silence as we demonstrated our 'amateur' software. They never did make it work
> as well as ours.  But those days are gone. I have been racking my brains
> trying to think of something to write for my phone but its all been done
> already or else it's too hard.  We just need that killer app!
> _._,_._,_
Paul: I do agree. I'm not saying I like it, but we have to face facts.

BBC BASIC is an extraordinary programming language for those of us who
self-taught in the eighties to whatever level we wished (in my case fairly basic
:-[ ) but, as you say, programming has become so complex that for most of us who
do it occasionally as a hobby in general it's only for professional programmers.
The Me generation(s) are not interested in exploring, only consuming: curiosity
seems to have disappeared nowadays, and it was that sense of "finding out" that
made programming as an amateur so interesting then.

Richard's BBC BASIC for Windows is a tour de force but sadly I don't see the
user base increasing much.

Rog W