locked Re: Splash Screen Poll #poll

Paul Marshall

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 04:57 am, Richard Russell wrote:
If BBC BASIC has any future it's not by appealing to 50+ year olds nostalgic about a home computer that they fondly remember from their youth.
I fear the time has passed. Never again will children experience the joy of going into Currys and typing  10 PRINT "Hello"  20 GOTO 10  on whatever machine was on display!   Programming has come so far it will only ever be of interest  to a very  limited number of highly technically minded individuals who pursue it as a career and even then Basic will not be one of those languages. As a hobby in itself where is it? I dont know how you can make it appeal to young people in the way it did to us. What was it that captured our imaginations?
The nostalgia element IS a big part of BBC Basic. I've just had fun running the Ceefax demo on my state-of-the-art TV. It works brilliantly but will I now use it instead of the red button? No. I love those demos of the Z80 music program. For me now age 70 it was at the time amazing (still is) but what would a young person think of it now?   Does anyone care about Mode 7 any longer?  I'm not knocking the included demos but we do need something more up to date to inspire the new user.
We know BBC Basic is capable of so much more. I recall at work we created programs to perform various functions. Then professional programmers were called in to build the proper Mark II version. They looked on in stunned silence as we demonstrated our 'amateur' software. They never did make it work as well as ours.  But those days are gone. I have been racking my brains trying to think of something to write for my phone but its all been done already or else it's too hard.  We just need that killer app!