Re: 64-bit BBC BASIC (again)

Cecil Bayona

Internally what is the assembler written in, Basic, Assembler, or something else?

Unfortunately I'm a newbie at BBC Basic, I wish I could help, it seems like a worthwhile project. Now that the basic software running as a 64 bit application a next helpful step to help would be a 64 bit assembler to allow interfacing to the OS.

I keep wondering if one decided to help with the assembler what resources if any would be available to get one started.

On 12/8/2017 6:31 AM, Richard Russell wrote:
On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 03:36 pm, Norman Vingoe wrote:
Once again Richard you have pulled a rabbit out of the hat.
I wouldn't go that far - after all I haven't actually *solved* any of the compatibility issues surrounding a 64-bit version.  However what I hopefully *have* done is to demonstrate that a 64-bit version of BBC BASIC should indeed be possible if these issues can be satisfactorily addressed.  In so doing I hope more effectively to engage people in actively thinking about them.
There was probably a greater response to the earlier thread than to any other subject discussed here in recent times, so let's see if we can direct that interest towards providing practical suggestions.  On the other hand if there's little or no take up - and it wouldn't be the first time - I won't pursue a 64-bit version any further.  The ball is in your court.