Re: GOTO statement considered harmful

Ian_Wade_G3NRW

Hi Richard

In my case, although I keep my head below the parapet most of the time, I still write new programs in BB4W for Windows-friendly apps for radio amateurs, like this one:

http://g3nrw.net/TS-590/?page_id=386

Yes, it is more fiddly to get the format and positioning of the boxes exactly right, but what I like is the very compact runtime code that BB4W produces. (This "requirement" goes back to my very early days of coding, in the 1960s. I was writing machine code for process control systems, where every byte of expensive memory really counted. I graduated after a few years to assembler coding, but always thought it was quite inefficient!) I did start learning Visual Basic at one time, but found it very much an overkill.

Now that I've written several apps like Audio590 in BB4W, it's like falling off a log when writing a new one.

At the age of 76 I'm no chicken, but I see myself using BB4W for a long time to come!

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

***** Editor: TS-590 Family Resources Page:http://g3nrw.net/TS-590

On 07/11/2017 00:12, Richard Russell wrote:

The only 'hard' statistic I have is the total number of copies of BB4W sold, but I'm pretty certain the vast majority either never used it or gave up using it long ago.  Short of making BB4W 'phone home' to report usage there's no way of knowing for sure (I'd never do that, not least for privacy reasons, and anyway in the early days most customers probably didn't have an always-on internet connection).

Richard.
_._,_._,_