Re: BBC4W for a Linux

Richard Russell

---In bb4w@yahoogroups.com, <davidfeugey@yahoo.com> wrote :
> don't believe people that tell you it's just a packaging issue. It's not. It's a compiling
> issue too, because of the versions of the libs present on each OS.

That confuses me, because no libraries are included when it is compiled. The only things in the executable file I create are the object code of my assembler modules, the compiled object code from a C 'wrapper' module I have written, and the compiled object code from a customised version of SDL2_gfx. There will also presumably be some startup code which is automatically added by GCC, but I would not have expected it to be specific to the flavour of Linux.

So how is it a compiling issue? I realise that the libs present on each OS are likely to be platform-specific, but so long as they are dynamically linked at run-time I don't understand why it would require my code to be recompiled. Surely the ELF file format is standardised across Linux flavours?

> the question is 'do you target Linux users or BBC Basic users'.

Well, at this stage I am targeting only people who use *both*. What I am primarily interested in is getting feedback on the functionality of the software, reports of bugs and other performance issues, suggestions for possible additions and modifications, and help with porting existing BASIC programs to the new SDL platform. The only people who can do that are those who are already very familiar with both BBC BASIC and Linux. I am assuming that such people exist!

> But BBC Basic users will love to get BBC4L

So where are they? I have seen little evidence of any enthusiasm for it. Like you, I thought there would be some excitement about the new version, considering how often a Linux version or a Mac OS version of BBC BASIC have been asked for. Perhaps those people gave up waiting; to be fair I have always - honestly - said that I had no plans to create either, so that might have put them off. Somehow, although I was vaguely aware of SDL, I had not twigged until very recently that it would allow me to create a Linux version, and potentially also a Mac OS version, very easily.

> (and even pay for it).

It will be free. I am not interested in creating additional paid-for software; BBC BASIC for Windows is, and will remain, my only commercial product.

So I will wait, not very patiently, for somebody to show some interest in the (admittedly very early) version of 'BBC BASIC for Linux' that I uploaded yesterday. I want to know if it runs on anybody else's system, particularly if it's different from my own (32-bit Ubuntu 14.04.3). I want to know if it's what people want!