From: Roger Loran Bailey via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:10 PM
To: bardtalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [bardtalk] Griping about NLS trend towards commercial audio
books

Well, the thickness of accents varies and I think it is unlikely that
someone with an extremely thick accent would be hired to narrate talking
books. I had a physics professor in college who had a very heavy Korean
accent and every class session was exhausting because I had to
concentrate so hard on just understanding him. He would have been
extremely unlikely to have been offered a job of narrating talking
books. By the way, as an aside, I once met that professor's son. The son
looked very Korean but had the accent of a West Virginia redneck.
On 8/12/2018 12:33 PM, Joshua Hendrickson wrote:
It depends on how heavy the accent is. I've got a commercial book
called The Bible of Clay and the lady who narrates it has such a thick
middle eastern accent, its difficult for me to understand her. She
also has a raspy voice, so that on top of the thick accent makes it
more difficult. She doesn't strike me as someone who could do
different voices well. Bard does have the book, unfortunately its
available in spanish.

On 8/12/18, john s <jschwery@...> wrote:
Well, I'm hearing impaired so heavy accents are a problem for me.

At 11:13 AM 8/12/2018, Evan Reese, wrote:
Hmmm, now that’s interesting.
I would have thought that you’d get used to
the accent, kind of like getting used to
synthetic voices, so that the effort to follow
what’s being said would become less over time, not more.
Evan