Classic Gaming Newsletters; was Dodge It; was: Fairchild Channel F?

Adam Trionfo

When I converted my newsletter, Orphaned Computers & Game Systems (OC&GS), into pdf format back in the late 1990s, I used some tools that were available back then from various sources.  What's interesting is that these pdfs were put onto archive.org by Jason Scott back in 2013.  All twelve issues are here:

The way I converted the last nine issues to pdf from my Amiga was that I output to a postscript file and then converted that using Adobe Distiller.  Perhaps issues of Slap Dash can be converted using this method.  My process sounds simple, but there were many utilities that I had to use in-between to glue the whole process together.  The first three issues of the newsletter were just regular scans because the issues were cut & paste together.

The OC&GS website still gets new articles now and then.  The most recent one is from December 2020:

The time of classic gaming newsletters was pretty short-lived; I'm glad that I was part of it.  Perhaps one day someone will write a book covering that period.

Adam

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 7:40 PM
To: ballyalley@groups.io
Subject: Re: Dodge It; was: Re: [ballyalley] Fairchild Channel F?

The museums may already have copies, depending on where they got the rest of their zines, though I’m not against sending copies if they don’t.  Sadly, the awesome copy shop that did most (all?) of the 2600 Connection issues I edited, and the last issue of Slap-Dash, is long gone.

I hadn’t considered uploading anything to the Internet Archive, and again, I’m not against it, but I don’t think I have them in “ready form”, i.e. they are in ancient Mac Quark XPress files, or separate EPS page files; nothing nice like PDFs.

Russ

On Sep 8, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Kevin B via groups.io <ubersaurus@...> wrote:

Russ, I'd love to see your zine online again! Have you considered uploading them to the Internet Archive or donating copies of the files to places like the NVM or the Strong Museum? I know the latter has a whole collection of gaming zines from the 90s for researchers to go through.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 10:09:43 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:

No, I don’t think I covered the game in Slap-Dash, though perhaps I’ve forgotten.  SD isn’t archived anywhere other than page files on my computer, and pages to copy in my files.  I did get a kick out of doing the stereogram, but didn’t think about how my shoddy printer would make it work a bit less ideally than I’d hoped, heh.

Russ

On Aug 30, 2021, at 4:40 PM, Adam Trionfo <ballyalley@...> wrote:

I don't think I heard of the Channel F until the early 1990s, when I began getting some of the small hobby newsletter that were dedicated to the "old" game systems like Atari.  That's also when I first encountered the Astrocade.

Russ is right (as usual): Dodge It on the Channel F is great fun!  The game looks primitive, but that doesn't take away from the fun that the game gives the player.  Here's what the game looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfAiVywmhRM

The first time I saw it some years ago, it struck me that it looks like a game that might have been included in the Bally Arcade's built-in games.  Heck, this game probably could be written in Bally BASIC.

@Russ: did you ever cover "Dodge It" in your "Slap Dash" newsletter in the late 1990s?  Are those issues archived anyplace?  I loved the 3D Space Invader cover (mostly because I could see it!).

Adam

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ballyalley] Fairchild Channel F?

I knew about it, but late, when Zircon bought it out to sell cheap.  I eventually got one at a rummage sale.  I still recommend Dodge It as simple fun.

Russ

On Aug 22, 2021, at 3:58 PM, Michael Di Salvo via groups.io <msdconsulting@...> wrote:

So perusing a seemingly biased and sparse document on the "second generation" of video games, the "Channel F" was given way too much mention in my opinion.

Honestly, I had never heard of or seen this system until most likely the Bally Yahoo group or AtariAge.

Was really a common system?  Was it regional?  (I live in the Northeast).

Did anyone in the group know of it back in the day, let alone own one?

-Michael

<https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>

--
128Kgames.com<http://msdconsulting.wix.com/128kgames>

128K. Your Life Will Never Be The Same.

Russ Perry Jr

Well, the bummer is, I don't have anything like complete issues here on this computer. I'm not even sure they'd be on my *last* computer, and/or on floppies. They *might* be on some old SuperDisks, or my first computer, but I'm really not sure. Eep.
-- 
//*================================================================++
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
|| 847-952-9729   RussPerryJr@...   VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
++================================================================*//

On Saturday, September 11, 2021, 09:13:02 AM CDT, Kevin B via groups.io <ubersaurus@...> wrote:
> According to their Finding Aid, I don’t see it as one of the donations: http://archives.museumofplay.org/repositories/3/archival_objects/29361
>
> If they are funky old file formats, I would suggest reaching out to Frank Cifaldi over at VGHF. He’s got some experience dealing with that kinda thing - a while back I know he was sent the Gamepro source files.
On Saturday, September 11, 2021, 11:39:28 AM CDT, Adam Trionfo <ballyalley@...> wrote:

When I converted my newsletter, Orphaned Computers & Game Systems (OC&GS), into pdf format back in the late 1990s, I used some tools that were available back then from various sources.  What's interesting is that these pdfs were put onto archive.org by Jason Scott back in 2013.  All twelve issues are here:

The way I converted the last nine issues to pdf from my Amiga was that I output to a postscript file and then converted that using Adobe Distiller.  Perhaps issues of Slap Dash can be converted using this method.  My process sounds simple, but there were many utilities that I had to use in-between to glue the whole process together.  The first three issues of the newsletter were just regular scans because the issues were cut & paste together.

The OC&GS website still gets new articles now and then.  The most recent one is from December 2020:

The time of classic gaming newsletters was pretty short-lived; I'm glad that I was part of it.  Perhaps one day someone will write a book covering that period.

Adam

The museums may already have copies, depending on where they got the rest of their zines, though I’m not against sending copies if they don’t.  Sadly, the awesome copy shop that did most (all?) of the 2600 Connection issues I edited, and the last issue of Slap-Dash, is long gone.

I hadn’t considered uploading anything to the Internet Archive, and again, I’m not against it, but I don’t think I have them in “ready form”, i.e. they are in ancient Mac Quark XPress files, or separate EPS page files; nothing nice like PDFs.

Russ

Russ, I'd love to see your zine online again! Have you considered uploading them to the Internet Archive or donating copies of the files to places like the NVM or the Strong Museum? I know the latter has a whole collection of gaming zines from the 90s for researchers to go through.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 10:09:43 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:

No, I don’t think I covered the game in Slap-Dash, though perhaps I’ve forgotten.  SD isn’t archived anywhere other than page files on my computer, and pages to copy in my files.  I did get a kick out of doing the stereogram, but didn’t think about how my shoddy printer would make it work a bit less ideally than I’d hoped, heh.

Russ

I don't think I heard of the Channel F until the early 1990s, when I began getting some of the small hobby newsletter that were dedicated to the "old" game systems like Atari.  That's also when I first encountered the Astrocade.

Russ is right (as usual): Dodge It on the Channel F is great fun!  The game looks primitive, but that doesn't take away from the fun that the game gives the player.  Here's what the game looks like:

The first time I saw it some years ago, it struck me that it looks like a game that might have been included in the Bally Arcade's built-in games.  Heck, this game probably could be written in Bally BASIC.

@Russ: did you ever cover "Dodge It" in your "Slap Dash" newsletter in the late 1990s?  Are those issues archived anyplace?  I loved the 3D Space Invader cover (mostly because I could see it!).

Adam

I knew about it, but late, when Zircon bought it out to sell cheap.  I eventually got one at a rummage sale.  I still recommend Dodge It as simple fun.

Russ

On Aug 22, 2021, at 3:58 PM, Michael Di Salvo via groups.io <msdconsulting@...> wrote:

So perusing a seemingly biased and sparse document on the "second generation" of video games, the "Channel F" was given way too much mention in my opinion.

Honestly, I had never heard of or seen this system until most likely the Bally Yahoo group or AtariAge.

-Michael

<https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>

--

John Mezzacappa

I know someone reissued all of the Atari 2600 Connection because I have a complete set on paper.

On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 10:58:45 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:

Well, the bummer is, I don't have anything like complete issues here on this computer. I'm not even sure they'd be on my *last* computer, and/or on floppies. They *might* be on some old SuperDisks, or my first computer, but I'm really not sure. Eep.
-- 

On Saturday, September 11, 2021, 09:13:02 AM CDT, Kevin B via groups.io <ubersaurus@...> wrote:
> According to their Finding Aid, I don’t see it as one of the donations: http://archives.museumofplay.org/repositories/3/archival_objects/29361
>
> If they are funky old file formats, I would suggest reaching out to Frank Cifaldi over at VGHF. He’s got some experience dealing with that kinda thing - a while back I know he was sent the Gamepro source files.
On Saturday, September 11, 2021, 11:39:28 AM CDT, Adam Trionfo <ballyalley@...> wrote:

Adam

Russ

Russ

Adam

Russ

-Michael

--

Chris

I've actually always thought that you would have a hell of a book in you, Russ. Your adventures being one of the first people in the world to write about what were just starting to be called "classic" games (LONG before podcasts, in the days of the Atari Nexus), or even something about specific consoles, would be snapped up immediately by a lot more folks in the community than just me.
Just a thought, albeit a sort-of-random one!
Chris++

Russ Perry Jr

On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 10:58:45 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
/* ----- */

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 07:23:08 AM CDT, John Mezzacappa via groups.io <jjpm74=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I know someone reissued all of the Atari 2600 Connection because I have a complete set on paper.
Well, if it's a "plastic spine" (not quite coil) bound book, I believe that's Tim Duarte, who started 2600 Connection, and got permission from Al Backiel and I (who each took a turn editing the newsletter after #50) to reprint our issues as well as his own. I still handle the occasional back issue sales myself for my individual issues, but my stocks are quite low, and again, I don't think I have complete files readily available for all issues. I clearly haven't spent enough time & effort on archiving stuff...

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 04:06:37 PM CDT, Chris via groups.io <drummerboy_91=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've actually always thought that you would have a hell of a book in you, Russ. Your adventures being one of the first people in the world to write about what were just starting to be called "classic" games (LONG before podcasts, in the days of the Atari Nexus), or even something about specific consoles, would be snapped up immediately by a lot more folks in the community than just me.
I appreciate the sentiment, though I sort of doubt that I do. Perhaps at one point I should have considered it, but I've been a bit "passed-by" by others, even some newcomers. Plus, at this point, there are just *so many* books out there... I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine. But with that too, there are already so many out there.

Dunno, maybe if I can ever see an angle that no one else has covered, and I suddenly have more time & ambition that I typically have... Or if I could combine the two things, maybe more...
-- 
|| 847-952-9729   RussPerryJr@sbcglobal.net   VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||

Adam Trionfo

I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine. But with that too, there are already so many out there.
I suggest that Russ should combine his two hobbies: classic videogames and drinking, I presume, at local breweries. These are two pastimes that I also share. Someone like he or I should port Tapper to the Astrocade!

Adam

Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ballyalley] Classic Gaming Newsletters; was Dodge It; was: Fairchild Channel F?

On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 10:58:45 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
/* ----- */

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 07:23:08 AM CDT, John Mezzacappa via groups.io <jjpm74=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, if it's a "plastic spine" (not quite coil) bound book, I believe that's Tim Duarte, who started 2600 Connection, and got permission from Al Backiel and I (who each took a turn editing the newsletter after #50) to reprint our issues as well as his own. I still handle the occasional back issue sales myself for my individual issues, but my stocks are quite low, and again, I don't think I have complete files readily available for all issues. I clearly haven't spent enough time & effort on archiving stuff...

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 04:06:37 PM CDT, Chris via groups.io <drummerboy_91=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I appreciate the sentiment, though I sort of doubt that I do. Perhaps at one point I should have considered it, but I've been a bit "passed-by" by others, even some newcomers. Plus, at this point, there are just *so many* books out there... I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine. But with that too, there are already so many out there.

Dunno, maybe if I can ever see an angle that no one else has covered, and I suddenly have more time & ambition that I typically have... Or if I could combine the two things, maybe more...
--
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
|| 847-952-9729 RussPerryJr@sbcglobal.net VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||

sixersfan105

Tapper on the Astrocade would be incredible! It's one of my favorite games. Would be happy to support a physical release. Cheers. 

From: ballyalley@groups.io <ballyalley@groups.io> on behalf of Adam Trionfo <ballyalley@...>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 9:53:37 PM
To: ballyalley@groups.io <ballyalley@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ballyalley] Classic Gaming Newsletters; was Dodge It; was: Fairchild Channel F?

>>
I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine.  But with that too, there are already so many out there.
>>

I suggest that Russ should combine his two hobbies: classic videogames and drinking, I presume, at local breweries.  These are two pastimes that I also share.  Someone like he or I should port Tapper to the Astrocade!

Adam

> On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 10:58:45 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:
>> Well, the bummer is, I don't have anything like complete issues here on this computer. I'm not even sure they'd be on my *last* computer, and/or on floppies. They *might* be on some old SuperDisks, or my first computer, but I'm really not sure. Eep.

/* ----- */

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 07:23:08 AM CDT, John Mezzacappa via groups.io <jjpm74@...> wrote:
> I know someone reissued all of the Atari 2600 Connection because I have a complete set on paper.

Well, if it's a "plastic spine" (not quite coil) bound book, I believe that's Tim Duarte, who started 2600 Connection, and got permission from Al Backiel and I (who each took a turn editing the newsletter after #50) to reprint our issues as well as his own.  I still handle the occasional back issue sales myself for my individual issues, but my stocks are quite low, and again, I don't think I have complete files readily available for all issues.  I clearly haven't spent enough time & effort on archiving stuff...

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 04:06:37 PM CDT, Chris via groups.io <drummerboy_91@...> wrote:
> I've actually always thought that you would have a hell of a book in you, Russ. Your adventures being one of the first people in the world to write about what were just starting to be called "classic" games (LONG before podcasts, in the days of the Atari Nexus), or even something about specific consoles, would be snapped up immediately by a lot more folks in the community than just me.
> Just a thought, albeit a sort-of-random one!

I appreciate the sentiment, though I sort of doubt that I do.  Perhaps at one point I should have considered it, but I've been a bit "passed-by" by others, even some newcomers.  Plus, at this point, there are just *so many* books out there...  I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine.  But with that too, there are already so many out there.

Dunno, maybe if I can ever see an angle that no one else has covered, and I suddenly have more time & ambition that I typically have...  Or if I could combine the two things, maybe more...
--
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
|| 847-952-9729   RussPerryJr@...   VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||

John Mezzacappa

These are not the plastic spine books, but I remember those well. I had many of those that sadly were lost to a house fire in 2012. These are individual printouts of each newsletter that Tim Duarte has been selling for basically cost through Atari Connection and on Ebay for years. I could scan them all if you want and drop them for you to archive, but do not want to step on anyone's toes.

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 08:55:03 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:

> On Sunday, September 26, 2021, 10:58:45 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:
>> Well, the bummer is, I don't have anything like complete issues here on this computer. I'm not even sure they'd be on my *last* computer, and/or on floppies. They *might* be on some old SuperDisks, or my first computer, but I'm really not sure. Eep.

/* ----- */

> I know someone reissued all of the Atari 2600 Connection because I have a complete set on paper.

Well, if it's a "plastic spine" (not quite coil) bound book, I believe that's Tim Duarte, who started 2600 Connection, and got permission from Al Backiel and I (who each took a turn editing the newsletter after #50) to reprint our issues as well as his own.  I still handle the occasional back issue sales myself for my individual issues, but my stocks are quite low, and again, I don't think I have complete files readily available for all issues.  I clearly haven't spent enough time & effort on archiving stuff...

> I've actually always thought that you would have a hell of a book in you, Russ. Your adventures being one of the first people in the world to write about what were just starting to be called "classic" games (LONG before podcasts, in the days of the Atari Nexus), or even something about specific consoles, would be snapped up immediately by a lot more folks in the community than just me.

I appreciate the sentiment, though I sort of doubt that I do.  Perhaps at one point I should have considered it, but I've been a bit "passed-by" by others, even some newcomers.  Plus, at this point, there are just *so many* books out there...  I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine.  But with that too, there are already so many out there.

Dunno, maybe if I can ever see an angle that no one else has covered, and I suddenly have more time & ambition that I typically have...  Or if I could combine the two things, maybe more...
-- 

John Mezzacappa

That makes at least three of us! Ha! There are roughly 250 breweries within a couple of hours of where I live and I love visiting them all.

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 09:53:39 PM EDT, Adam Trionfo <ballyalley@...> wrote:

>>
I had a coworker who always told me "you should write a book", but about beer, another "hobby" of mine.  But with that too, there are already so many out there.
>>

I suggest that Russ should combine his two hobbies: classic videogames and drinking, I presume, at local breweries.  These are two pastimes that I also share.  Someone like he or I should port Tapper to the Astrocade!

Adam

/* ----- */

--
||  Russ Perry Jr  2175 S Tonne Dr #114  Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
|| 847-952-9729  RussPerryJr@...  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||