From: ballyalley@groups.io <ballyalley@groups.io> on behalf of Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 7:40 PM
To: ballyalley@groups.io
Subject: Re: Dodge It; was: Re: [ballyalley] Fairchild Channel F?

The museums may already have copies, depending on where they got the rest of their zines, though I’m not against sending copies if they don’t.  Sadly, the awesome copy shop that did most (all?) of the 2600 Connection issues I edited, and the last issue of Slap-Dash, is long gone.

I hadn’t considered uploading anything to the Internet Archive, and again, I’m not against it, but I don’t think I have them in “ready form”, i.e. they are in ancient Mac Quark XPress files, or separate EPS page files; nothing nice like PDFs.

Russ

On Sep 8, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Kevin B via groups.io <ubersaurus@...> wrote:

Russ, I'd love to see your zine online again! Have you considered uploading them to the Internet Archive or donating copies of the files to places like the NVM or the Strong Museum? I know the latter has a whole collection of gaming zines from the 90s for researchers to go through.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, 10:09:43 PM EDT, Russ Perry Jr <russperryjr@...> wrote:

No, I don’t think I covered the game in Slap-Dash, though perhaps I’ve forgotten.  SD isn’t archived anywhere other than page files on my computer, and pages to copy in my files.  I did get a kick out of doing the stereogram, but didn’t think about how my shoddy printer would make it work a bit less ideally than I’d hoped, heh.

Russ

On Aug 30, 2021, at 4:40 PM, Adam Trionfo <ballyalley@...> wrote:

I don't think I heard of the Channel F until the early 1990s, when I began getting some of the small hobby newsletter that were dedicated to the "old" game systems like Atari.  That's also when I first encountered the Astrocade.

Russ is right (as usual): Dodge It on the Channel F is great fun!  The game looks primitive, but that doesn't take away from the fun that the game gives the player.  Here's what the game looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfAiVywmhRM

The first time I saw it some years ago, it struck me that it looks like a game that might have been included in the Bally Arcade's built-in games.  Heck, this game probably could be written in Bally BASIC.

@Russ: did you ever cover "Dodge It" in your "Slap Dash" newsletter in the late 1990s?  Are those issues archived anyplace?  I loved the 3D Space Invader cover (mostly because I could see it!).

Adam