How to find designation for Comets that Astrometrica will accept?

Mike Paling

Hi ...
For the first time I would like to send a MCP Report for a Comet " C/2021 A4" after making some images last night.

It is faint on the images ... but I can see it ... and I can see it moving when I blink the set of images ... so I "know" that it there :-))

However ... what is the correct code for this comet so that I can mark it into Astrometrica??? When I type in "C2014 A4" .... or any other combination of these I find that Astrometrica just does not recognise it :-(((

What do I need to type in for this ... and ... any future comet? I can't seem to spot anything helpful on the MCP web site :-(

Mike

--
MikePaling

Peter Birtwhistle

Mike,

Unless you're using the "ADES" beta release of Astrometrica (version  4.12.0.448) you need to enter the packed designation, which for C/2021 A4 would be CK21A040. The ADES version takes the unpacked code C/2021 A4.

Take a look at recent "OBSERVATIONS AND ORBITS OF COMETS AND A/ OBJECTS" MPECs, e.g. https://minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K21/K21BE3.html to see the packed designations of recently observed numbered and unnumbered comets.

Peter
J95

On 01/03/2021 16:00, Mike Paling wrote:
Hi ...
For the first time I would like to send a MCP Report for a Comet " C/2021 A4" after making some images last night.

It is faint on the images ... but I can see it ... and I can see it moving when I blink the set of images ... so I "know" that it there :-))

However ... what is the correct code for this comet so that I can mark it into Astrometrica??? When I type in "C2014 A4" .... or any other combination of these I find that Astrometrica just does not recognise it :-(((

What do I need to type in for this ... and ... any future comet? I can't seem to spot anything helpful on the MCP web site :-(

Mike

--
MikePaling

Mike Paling

Peter ...

I am using Astrometrica v 4.11.1442 ... and I have tried entering in the designation "CK21A04" and it still does not recognize the Comet. It just sits there waiting for my to type something else.

When I carry out the "data reduction" process it shows up as an "unidentified object" .... I have to enter in the Comet's designation by hand after this in order to log it's position.

Mike
Z11

Peter Birtwhistle

Mike,

I've been using 4.12.0.448 recently, but I've just installed 4.11.1.442 here and CK21A040 (note the trailing zero) is accepted without problem.

You might want to try a small Windows program I've recently made available which converts both ways between packed and unpacked designations for numbered and unnumbered minor planets, comets and split comets.

It's free and the download is available here: http://birtwhistle.org.uk/SoftwareDownloads.htm

Peter
J95

On 04/03/2021 10:59, Mike Paling wrote:
Peter ...

I am using Astrometrica v 4.11.1442 ... and I have tried entering in the designation "CK21A04" and it still does not recognize the Comet. It just sits there waiting for my to type something else.

When I carry out the "data reduction" process it shows up as an "unidentified object" .... I have to enter in the Comet's designation by hand after this in order to log it's position.

Mike
Z11

Wayne Hawley

I’ve tried searching but the only place I can put the designation for the object is in here then it finds this comet

Regards Wayne

Sent from my iPhone 0790 1212761

On 4 Mar 2021, at 11:31, Peter Birtwhistle <peter@birtwhistle.org.uk> wrote:

[...]

Or it finds it like this

[...]

Herbert Raab

The Object Browser in Astrometrica will always get the correct designation (i.e., packed designation for the version that uses the old 80-character MPCReport, and full desigfnation for the version that uses the ADES file format).

- Herbert

Bernd Lütkenhöner

Hello Mike,

There are two fields for "Object Designation". The left one is greyed out so that you can't type anything. If you enter "CK21A04" in the right field, you should have no problem.

Bernd

On 04.03.2021 10:59, Mike Paling wrote:
Peter ...

I am using Astrometrica v 4.11.1442 ... and I have tried entering in the designation "CK21A04" and it still does not recognize the Comet. It just sits there waiting for my to type something else.

When I carry out the "data reduction" process it shows up as an "unidentified object" .... I have to enter in the Comet's designation by hand after this in order to log it's position.

Mike
Z11

Mike Paling

My problem is solved !!!

I feel pretty embarrassed about it .... but after looking at all of you prompts and suggestions I eventually realized that I had not updated my MPCOrb files recently :-(

All is working properly now :-)

Mike