Topics

Naismith and Roundway

smiffft@...

Anyone have info on Naismith and Roundway- some DBA gamers on Fanaticus are concerned, as they ordered (July?) but have received nothing and had minimal replies from John Roberts, the owner.

Is he unwell /away / out of business?

Any info appreciated.

Martin

I had problems with Naismith & Roundway and I have posted on Fanaticus to that effect but all my orders arrived safely if somewhat slowly. John, who runs Naismith & Roundway, has a regular job and does suffer with his health so delivery can be a little tardy. My last order was at the end of May and it arrived within two weeks.

Hope that helps.

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Drew Jarman

Ask in the CLWC Groups.io

I gather he's a member there.
I cant comment about his business turnaround times etc as I refuse to pay his postage rates.

Drew
http://drewjarman.blogspot.co.uk
http:/www.essexwarriors.org
Historic Miniature Figure Gaming
EBay Seller ID Dyson690
It is always better to have tried and failed than fail to try and regret it afterwards.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

More worryingly I can confirm that the web site is showing "We can’t connect to the server at naismithandroundway.co.uk." as found by others. I checked and the domain has not expired. In fact it doesn't expire until 28-Jun-2020.

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Martin

Here's a link to the thread at Fanaticus if you want to follow it there - http://fanaticus.boards.net/thread/2313/john-roberts-naismith-roundway

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Martin

Edited

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 08:29 AM, Drew Jarman wrote:

Ask in the CLWC Groups.io I gather he's a member there.
Good point. I know we have at least one member here who's also a CLWC member. So if anyone follows this up please post your findings to this group.

Thanks.

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Jeff

Lo and behold, my order arrived today. I appreciate John keeping his word and fulfilling my order. Making your hobby a business must be tough, and I hope John finds balance soon.

smiffft@...

That’s good to hear!

Martin

smiffft@...

👍👍

Martin

Edited

Martin

I wrote to John and tonight he replied saying that the web site was working and so was he. So I tried to place an order. Here's what happened:

[1] I just tried to get to http://naismithandroundway.co.uk/ and it gave me a "This page can’t be displayed" error. I got the same result using four (yes 4) different web browsers.

[2] I also checked using a couple of services like https://down.com/ and rather strangely they show that the server is online. This I don't understand.

[3] I then used a VPN to connect via Sweden and the site worked and I placed an order! I'll have to do a bit of digging and see why this isn't working for me.

Something is clearly not right somewhere. I'm still trying to find out where as I'm intrigued. I will update the group when the order arrives.

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Dux Simon

Worked fine for me just now.

Simon

Drew Jarman

Martin

I just tried the link and it went straight through ok.

[...]

Looks like it's just me then. :-(

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Martin

Edited

Techie follow up: it looks like my current IP address has been blocked by the web server that runs John's site. I can get round this using a VPN from any number of countries; even the UK!

Using a few checking tools my current IP, provided by Plusnet, is on a couple of blacklists (this is not uncommon) and this may well be the root cause. This will hopefully change when Plusnet assign me a new IP address which they do every so often.

Moral: if the site appears down double check with https://down.com/, or some other tool, and if it's online try a VPN as your IP may be blocked too.

--
Martin
http://blog.vexillia.me.uk/