Salted paper revisit

Marek Matusz

Hello
After a fairly long absence from salted paper printing I was prompted to do some testing. First of all I have been recommending Strathmore Bristol 500 1ply as the best paper for this process and I bought a new stack of it about a year ago but never got to it. What a disappointment it turned out. While the paper weight seems to be the same as few years ago the wet strength is very poor. The paper develops tears that are impossible to stop. I tried the old stock and it behaves very well with great wet strength. Two different papers. In term of print quality seems to be ok but I only tested a few pieces.

So I decided to test some additional papers, notably new Arches Platine 145 g. It is described as much improved version of the old paper. That is never good news. The paper has a very distinct smooth side for printing, which I immediately liked  I have to report that the measly spots that develop during salting on Arches platine are not present. Paper coats beautifully with salting solution and sensitized easily with silver nitrate. Absolutely no defects. A clear winner in my notebook. I am actually experimenting again with this process. Here is the picture of the paper box and a salt print with arrow root size. Print is gold toned and a little warmer than the iPhone pic.

Happy printing

John J Penner

I have used Fabriano Bristol+ with great success for salt printing.

Jjp

On Dec 30, 2021, at 4:52 PM, Marek Matusz <marekmatusz@...> wrote:

[...]

earlj217

Here's a second endorsement of Arches Platine 145 gsm for salt prints. I bought some of this paper on sale, and later, on the advice of Marek Matusz, I tried it for salted paper. The results are the best salt prints that I have ever made. No staining in the masked areas that were sensitized - they are paper white. I used arrowroot sizing and ammonium chloride. Toning was gold/thiourea.

Now if this paper does not change by the time I receive the next batch, I will be extremely happy.

Earl Johnson

On 12/30/2021 4:52 PM, Marek Matusz wrote:
[...]

Paul Barden

Thats a beautiful print, Marek!
I have only recently started printing my work on salted paper, and I’ve found Bergger COT320 to be superb. I will try the Arches Platine soon too.

Paul

On Dec 30, 2021, at 2:52 PM, Marek Matusz <marekmatusz@...> wrote:

[...]

<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg>
Happy printing

BOB KISS

Marek, that is a GORGEOUS salt print!!!

[...]

brittonie,

Wow that is nice!! What an image 💜

I’d given up on the platine tha is for the review!

--

BrittonieFletcher.com

Niranjan Patel

Hi, Marek:

That is indeed a wonderful print - look at those details in the shadows.  Blackest blacks and whitest whites.  Ansel would have been proud.

What are those lines at the top, by the way.

:Niranjan.

Marek Matusz

Thanks for all the comments. Indeed shadow  detail in a salt print can be amazing due to self masking. The line on the top is where excess silver nitrate drops from the paper when it is dried after sensitizing with silver nitrate. So it was bottom of the paper when it was dried. Also I forgot to mention that sensitized paper keeps for at least two days with no dark reaction

Marek

On Dec 31, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Niranjan Patel via groups.io <nirpat89@...> wrote:

Hi, Marek:

That is indeed a wonderful print - look at those details in the shadows.  Blackest blacks and whitest whites.  Ansel would have been proud.

What are those lines at the top, by the way.

:Niranjan.

Roberto Aguilar

I’ve been having a play myself with some salt last week.  This is carrageenan sizing on HPR. 15% silver nitrate. The top and bottom are different exposures. 1 step apart on the Stouffer 21 step wedge.

Kind regards,
Roberto Aguilar

On 31 Dec 2021, at 18:24, Marek Matusz <marekmatusz@...> wrote:

 Thanks for all the comments. Indeed shadow  detail in a salt print can be amazing due to self masking. The line on the top is where excess silver nitrate drops from the paper when it is dried after sensitizing with silver nitrate. So it was bottom of the paper when it was dried. Also I forgot to mention that sensitized paper keeps for at least two days with no dark reaction

Marek

On Dec 31, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Niranjan Patel via groups.io <nirpat89@...> wrote:

Hi, Marek:

That is indeed a wonderful print - look at those details in the shadows.  Blackest blacks and whitest whites.  Ansel would have been proud.

What are those lines at the top, by the way.

:Niranjan.

Marek Matusz

These are impressive dark tones Roberto

On Dec 31, 2021, at 1:08 PM, Roberto Aguilar <fotorat@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Marek.
I owe it all to Christina Z Anderson and yourself for the wonderful book on the subject.

Kind regards,
Roberto Aguilar

On 31 Dec 2021, at 20:06, Marek Matusz <marekmatusz@...> wrote:

 These are impressive dark tones Roberto

On Dec 31, 2021, at 1:08 PM, Roberto Aguilar <fotorat@...> wrote:

 I’ve been having a play myself with some salt last week.  This is carrageenan sizing on HPR. 15% silver nitrate. The top and bottom are different exposures. 1 step apart on the Stouffer 21 step wedge.

<image0.jpeg>