Salted Paper on Revere Platinum

Marek Matusz

This print is on heavyweight Revere platinum. I gave up on the paper, because it always stained badly for me for salted paper. My recent “discovery” of needing long fixer times to avoid this made me re-examine this paper. I loved it because it is one of the warmest printing papers out there. This particular print has gelatin size. After exposure it was washed in water until free from silver and soaked for a few minutes in 2% NaCl solution. Fixed for 20 minutes in my modified Agfa 304 fixer. Washed in 2% sodium sulfite followed by a long water wash. There is no gold toning. Dry print was exposed to full sun for 4 hours (it was a beautiful day here in Houston) to see if I can spot any staining in my white test square. I am happy to report there is no staining whatsoever.

I just love the shade of the untoned salted print on this paper. Will be making some more. Remains to be seen if other fading mechanisms (NOT STAIN) will deteriorate this print in the long storage. I have a lot of patience to wait a decade or two.

I am in love with the process again

I am using my standard negative so you all have seen the picture. It is actually a little darker than the screen shows.

Marek Matusz

Sent from Mail for Windows

BOB KISS

OMG!  This is GORGEOUS!!!

[...]

Thank you Bob.

On Jan 16, 2022, at 4:29 PM, BOB KISS via groups.io <bobkiss@...> wrote:

OMG!  This is GORGEOUS!!!

[...]

Michael Healy

Beautiful! What are its dimensions?
Mike Healy

On 1/16/2022 2:31 PM, Marek Matusz wrote:

[...]

Mike
About 8.5x10.5” image size

On Jan 18, 2022, at 1:42 PM, Michael Healy via groups.io <fourbyfiveguy@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Moser

Hi Marek,

This is lovely, but I have some questions, as I am just beginning to dabble with salt and silver nitrate and would really like to understand how you proceeded with this image.

1. It's on heavyweight Revere platinum paper. This particular one "has gelatin size". Did you size with just gelatin (and what strength solution?), did you use anything to harden it (glyoxal?), immersion sizing or just one side?

2. "...washed in water until free from silver and soaked for a few minutes in 2% NaCl solution." So after washed until the water was clear, you then immersed it back into a 2% NaCl solution? For how long?

3. I think I missed your recipe for the "modified Agfa 304 fixer" — how are you modifying it?

4. How long in the 2% sodium sulfite solution before moving on toe the final rinse?

I'm really amazed at the color, especially as there is no gold toning.

Thanks for your reply.

~~ Dennis Moser

Michael Healy

Beautiful! Mike Healy

On 1/18/2022 3:32 PM, Marek Matusz wrote:

[...]

Dennis,

Sorry for the delay. I actually wrote a little summary article for the workflow. Please give credit if you are reusing any part of it.

Thanks

Marek Matusz

Sent from Mail for Windows