Alternate to Photoshop

dan jones

Having just retired, I find myself without access to Photoshop (the company paid for my subscription).
Wondering if any other, more affordable Image software out there (Gimp. Affinity etc.), would allow me to continue making digital negatives for alternative processes ?
Not just looking for inverting the image, but being able to split channels for tri-color / quad color gum printing....
have posted and searched the forums, but couldn't find anything...

Thanks
Dan

Jim Patterson,

Hi, I use Corel Paintshop Pro.  It used to be Microsoft only, but now is available for Mac.
Jim

On Apr 1, 2021, at 5:28 PM, dan jones <cacadanebay@...> wrote:

Having just retired, I find myself without access to Photoshop (the company paid for my subscription).
Wondering if any other, more affordable Image software out there (Gimp. Affinity etc.), would allow me to continue making digital negatives for alternative processes ?
Not just looking for inverting the image, but being able to split channels for tri-color / quad color gum printing....
have posted and searched the forums, but couldn't find anything...

Thanks
Dan

Diana Bloomfield, <dlhbloomfield@...>

Hi Dan,

I've used nothing but GIMP (since 1999 as I remember) for all my digital negatives, and I've never had any issues at all.  And I am primarily a gum printer, so always using color separation negatives.  I find GIMP incredibly easy and intuitive.

Best,

Diana

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 6:28 PM dan jones <cacadanebay@...> wrote:
Having just retired, I find myself without access to Photoshop (the company paid for my subscription).
Wondering if any other, more affordable Image software out there (Gimp. Affinity etc.), would allow me to continue making digital negatives for alternative processes ?
Not just looking for inverting the image, but being able to split channels for tri-color / quad color gum printing....
have posted and searched the forums, but couldn't find anything...

Thanks
Dan

Anne Eder

There’s another online photo editor called Photopea that some of my students are using. Very similar to photoshop and Gimp but you don’t have to download it so it’s good if storage is an issue.

Anne

On Apr 1, 2021, at 6:58 PM, Diana Bloomfield, <dlhbloomfield@...> wrote:

[...]

Laurence Patrick Cuffe,

I’d put in a vote for Gimp as well. Its also Free, which I appreciative.
Best
Laurence Cuffe

On 2 Apr 2021, at 00:11, Anne Eder <chansonette@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Puff

Check out Gimp.  I know a number of people who use it very successfully for alt negatives including color separations.

Michael

On Apr 1, 2021, at 3:28 PM, dan jones via groups.io <cacadanebay@...> wrote:

Having just retired, I find myself without access to Photoshop (the company paid for my subscription).
Wondering if any other, more affordable Image software out there (Gimp. Affinity etc.), would allow me to continue making digital negatives for alternative processes ?
Not just looking for inverting the image, but being able to split channels for tri-color / quad color gum printing....
have posted and searched the forums, but couldn't find anything...

Thanks
Dan

Jacques Kevers

I'd add a vote for Gimp as well.
Be aware that coming from Photoshop, it will take a while to get used to it, but nothing extraordinarily difficult - commands can be named/placed in a different way for instance..
Anyway, being on Linux, I hadn't much other choices...
Best,
Jacques
Jacques Kevers
Beau Site

[...]