Re: Uranotypes

BOB KISS

DEAR MIKE,

Thanks for even more info! 

Please confirm that the uranochrysotype is a printing out process and is not developed in potassium ferrocyanide? 

The print is an interesting color and a little cooler than my uranotypes (e.g. below)  I thought uranotype was an appropriate color for San Giovese grapes at Antinori Vineyards in Chianti.  I call it "Gonaby Wine" because, after they press it, ferment it, put it in casks , then bottle it it's "Gonna Be Wine"!  LOL!!!

THANKS!

BOB

BobKiss1 San Geovese uranotype.jpg

From: altphotolist@groups.io [mailto:altphotolist@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ware
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2021 7:35 AM
To: altphotolist@groups.io
Subject: Re: [altphotolist] Uranotypes

Bob -
In 1985 a 3rd year chemistry undergrad, Miss O. B. Wellesley-Cole, at Manchester did a project for me on "Uranyl carboxylates as photochemical imaging systems".
Her report has this tipped-in specimen, which was contact-printed from a 6x9 cm rollfilm negative of mine, one hour exposure to a small UVA lamp.
She possibly has made the first Uranochrysotype since C.J. Burnett in 1857!
You can see her sensitizer formulation: the molarities convert to 14% uranyl acetate + 10% sodium tetrachloroaurate, mixed 1:1. Very simple. It seemed pretty stable mixed.
The exposed print was stabilised in 5% sodium bisulphite solution, NaHSO3, to prevent highlight fogging, then washed in water. Easy to process.
Allow for colour inaccuracies in my scanning: I'd say the original was a claret or garnet red, 11D8/11E8 in the Methuen Handbook of Colour.

The title, BTW, is: "The Pike Pool, Beresford Dale, 1982."
A Derbyshire anglers' paradise!

Mike

P.S.Yes the acetate fluoresces more.
--
Mike Ware
https://www.mikeware.co.uk

Join altphotolist@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.