Re: Uranotypes

brittonie,

Hey Mike,

Will the acetic acid help with the nitrate as well as acetate? I’ve had some sedimentation with the uranium nitrate I’ve assumed was the solution being too cold.

Many thanks,

Brittonie

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 16:17, Mike Ware <mike@...> wrote:

Bob -
Uranyl acetate is said to be ~10% w/v solubility at room temperature. Aim for this, at least, or even 15% if you're warm! Say 7 g in 50 ml. water.
(A drop or two of acetic acid may help, if it tends to deposit solid basic salt due to hydrolysis.)

You can expect a bright green fluorescence when you put it under the UV! Exposures will be lengthy.
I don't know if you can mix it with your ferricyanide solution, before coating, without it reacting  - it's worth a try. Otherwise develop your Uranotype in ferricyanide as usual.

Mike
P.S. If you have any sodium tetrachloroaurate dihydrate, NaAuCl4.2H2O, dissolve 1 g in 10 ml. Mix this solution 1:1 with your uranyl acetate solution to make a nice gold print - uranochrysotype!
--
Mike Ware
https://www.mikeware.co.uk

--