Re: Uranotypes

Fausto Saporito,

Hello,

Uranyl acetate is also available in Poland (warchem.pl), but not uranyl nitrate, so this could be very interesting.

Thanks,

Fausto

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2021 3:40 PM
To: altphotolist@groups.io
Subject: Re: [altphotolist] Uranotypes

DEAR MIKE,

Uranyl Acetate seems to be available at the same supplier from whom I buy my uranyl nitrate.  Pse suggest concentration of sensitizer solution.  IIRC Bob Schramm's recommended concentration for UN is near saturated.  I would be happy to try it.

CHEERS!

BOB 

From: altphotolist@groups.io [mailto:altphotolist@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ware
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2021 7:37 AM
To: altphotolist@groups.io
Subject: Re: [altphotolist] Uranotypes

The use of uranium salts as printing photosensitizers goes back to C.J. Burnett of Edinburgh in 1855, when he exhibited images in uranyl ferrocyanide, and in 1857 when he obtained gold images. This is a sub-plot in my book Gold in Photography: see pp. 97-99 for many references to the original literature. Silver, palladium, and platinum images have also been obtained this way.

A couple of my chemistry project students at Manchester looked at photosensitizers employing U(VI) salts in 1985/6 and concluded that uranyl acetate was the best of several possible salts, including the nitrate. We made some nice gold prints this way. You may find it worthwhile trying the acetate for your Uranotypes.
--
Mike Ware
https://www.mikeware.co.uk

Join altphotolist@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.