Re: What is a correct formula for gelatin+glutaraldehyde paper sizing

Don Nelson

Its a coating rod

When you order you will need to decide on length and allow at least an inch extra on each end ( makes a blind end)
Have them drill a hole on one end - you can use a piece of stainless wire to lift it out of a vertical hot water bath ( I constructed mine from black plumbers pipe and fittings, and use an electric tea kettle to heat the water). Dry the rod before coating.
Don
Ps on rd90 and rd200 rods, used by some carbon printers, they stock 12 foot lengths to cut off to your dimensions. Saves a setup charge. Before this happened, I used to organize a couple of group buys to distribute the setup charge

On Apr 2, 2021, at 11:59 AM, John Brewer <johnbrewerphotography@...> wrote:

Hey Don

What’s an RD90 rod? Google isn’t helping me!

John

On 2 Apr 2021, at 6:14 pm, Don Nelson <ac7zg@...> wrote:

And you might want to mix smaller amounts as it starts to immediately crosslink in solution
I coat 2  12x15 sheets at a time with just 100ml size plus 0.8 gm glut, using a coating rod to spread. A hot rod with eliminate bubbles in the sizing
( rod is a RD90)
Don

On Apr 2, 2021, at 10:10 AM, Don Nelson <ac7zg@...> wrote:

You can use up to 0.9 ml 3% glut solution per 100ml of gelatin sizing (I use 5% gelatin)
More than that and you will start forming polyglut. Polyglut will give a yellow stain in the size and cannot be removed.
Very little glut can actually be used. Two active bonding sites on the glut molecule means a lot of crosslinking activity with gelatin
Don Nelson

On Apr 2, 2021, at 8:22 AM, job.westerduin@... wrote:

Hi, i have experimented with gum printing (trail and error,, and i will to start serious first gum printing with a cyanotype as starting layer base this weekend or later.

I have a pot glutaraldehyde from Rollei Black Magic emulsion set, that was left over from my previous silver photopaper enlarging hobby
How many glut and gelatin per 1 liter water.

Greeting Job from The Netherlands.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#6177) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [ac7zg@...]

_._,__,_