Topics

Zoom H1N Handy Recorder

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Just received this in the mail and have had a brief look at the recorder.

First glances leave me impressed.

The H1N is heavier then the previous H1 and sports most of the controls on
the front of the recorder below the display.

I like the idea of the analogue input level control which is very stiff to
adjust and small enough to keep out of the way so the adjustment stays
permanent and won't be knocked.

The H1N runs on 2 AAA batteries and requires the user to go through a setup
process for display language, Time and Date etc so no recordings
unfortunately until I get some eyeballs to give me a hand tomorrow but I can
tell you now that tomorrow just can't come quickly enough.

One of the problems I found with the Zoom H1 was the slow recovery of the
Automatic Recording Level so it will be interesting to see what if anything
Zoom have done about this? I suspect that the limiters now included with the
recorder will make all the difference here and - this being the case - the
H1N could make a very nice recorder for dictation along with just about
everything else.

Others didn't like the fact that the older H1 didn't have a pause control so
the addition of a pause control is welcome along with a pre-record buffer.

The slot for the Micro SD card is easily accessible on the right hand side
of the recorder just below the input jack and can be opened easily so that's
another nice touch for this handy recorder over the older model.

Too many other additional features and functions to mention over the H1 so I
look forward to sorting all of these out over time and I'm glad it's the
weekend, others might be disappointed with the weekend weather - bitterly
cold and windy here - but its great manual-type reading weather.

.

Aidan

It should be possible to insert batteries, and press something that
could be ok/enter, (wich ever button they use for that) and then you
should be at the main screen where you can record. But the manual is
not clear about those button combinations. All I know is that when
holding down the stop button it bring up options such as the self
timer, wich don't make much sense for us. It allow you to get ready
for recording while you not able to press record. So it will count
visually a few seconds and start recording, but there is no audible
indication as to when it started.
I believe to overdub, you must press record and play together, but the
other combinations I stil would like to no.

On 7/12/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
[...]

I can shed some light on all of this now having set the recorder up.
The 4 buttons belief the display - Audio, Low Cut, Limiter and Level - become function buttons when the setup screen is active thus the 2 middle buttons are your cursor, the left is cancel and the right is okay.
Such is indicated on the display if you have vision to see the arrows or whatever graphics are used.
There’s a heck of a lot in the setup menu which is worth noting including SD Card tests and a whole heap on USB mapping which I’ll have to learn about in coming days.
I’ve Done some testing with the recorder and I’ve been most pleased with the results I’ve obtained thus far.
Certainly the H1N is worth the money I paid - $180 Australian including the accessories kit.
There are advantages over the H1 verses the H1N and one is being the ease of changing recording formats with the H1 which was done by just flicking a switch to change to Mp3.
With the H1N I have to go into ‘Audio” and remember key presses but at least the change can be done I guess.

On 13 Jul 2019, at 10:43 pm, Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks this is very helpfull. I will save this mail

On 7/13/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
[...]

The Zoom H1N has many useful functions which are controlled by holding down various keys so I hope to learn about those in coming days and will note them here.

[...]

Okay here's a small sample as recorded from the built-in microphones of the Zoom H1N covered by the Zoom Windscreen.
I don't think the Zoom Windscreens are as good as the Gutman type I own so I'm looking around to see if I can find a Gutman to fit the H1N.
Anyway the recording is of me getting up from my office desk and going outside into the backyard for a little while before coming in again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/olzjroysjjo6x4m/ZOOM0009.WAV?dl=0

[...]

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
I just heard my friend about another recorder with no menus at all which makes me interestd.
I don’t give a dam about the zooms cause i can’t for the life of me remember the menus and have no sighted help for that either.
/A

12 juli 2019 kl. 03:41 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

[...]

Well to say the Zoom H1N has menus wouldn't be describing the machine accurately.
Yes, the H1N has a setup menu of sorts but it isn't crucial to using the machine.
All other functions have shortcuts pretty much so its just a matter of remembering what key preses and holds do what.
The Zoom H1N has a comprehensive list of functions controlled by a most interesting interface that won't be a problem to get around once I learn it, if I can use keyboard shortcuts on a computer then the Zoom H1N will be as easy as peazy.
The H1 had no menu system at all but was limited in its functionality.
Actually the author of a review I watched on the Zoom H1N actually recommends that if you already have a Zoom H1 - and you're happy with it - then don't bother upgrading.
My Zoom H1 unit is 9 years old and has seen better days so why not the upgrade.

[...]

I don't agree. Its werth upgrading as you stil have a less noise
preamp. And there is overdub wich h1 don't have.
I wunder how it works when connecting to ios/pc?

[...]

A reviewer on Youtube doesn't seem fazed about the differences between the H1 and H1N, he says that if you're happy with your H1 then stick with it and I'm inclined to agree.
My H1 machine was showing its age so time to retire it.
The USB Interface has to be enabled and I'm not sure how that's done as yet.
It is possible that the USB Interface for the card reader can be enabled when the power is off, some Zoom recorders have this ability.

[...]

Curtis Delzer

I an anxiously awaiting your information about the recorder. I'll probably be interested in one soon.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 7/11/2019 6:41 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

You'll be waiting a long time as I've given all the information I have <smile>.
I use the Zoom H1N on a daily basis, can't really do more than that.

[...]

I was responding to a very early message in this thread. thanks.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA