Zoom H1 and other handy recorders

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Course the other way to find out what's going on with the sampling rate of the Zoom H1 is to make some test files, load them into your Sound Editor and see what the sampling and bit rates are.

That way you can keep changing and testing until you have the configuration you want.

On 5/04/2018 6:58 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Oh that's a cool trick. Awesome I didn't know 1 could do that. That's epic! Though I don't use hearing ades that sounds like an epic idea.

On 4/4/2018 4:46 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
I'm assuming that most people won't want to bother with a studio grade recorder thus the H1 is quite a good option.

The only time things might be a little complicated with the Zoom H1 is if you want to set sampling and bit rates which are easily done by using the up and down arrows during "Record Standby" mode which is the default mode.

By default the recorder is set to 44.1KHZ 16 bit so pressing down takes you to 96KHZ 24 bit whilst pressing up takes you to 44.1KHZ 24 bit.

There are other ways to find out what sampling rate you're set to, you can use the induction loop pickup facility on your hearing instruments or an amp with a bare lead to hear differences in the speed of which the recorder writes to the card when recording, the quicker the speed then the higher the sampling and bit rate.

At 44.1KHZ the recorder writes to the SD card twice a second.

The Zoom H1 has a nice MP3 encoder if you prefer this and it may be useful for long recordings, the encoding goes up to 320K.

You switch between MP3 and Wave formats using one of the 3 mechanical toggle switches on the back, the other two control auto/manual record level and low-cut filter on/off.

And that's another think I'd advise against doing with the Zoom H1, don't use the Auto level setting and to be honest there's really no need to anyway.

Set the recorder to around 50% for input level and just use that.

Any level boost or normalisation can easily be done on your computer.

On 5/04/2018 6:14 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Yeah I guess I just always bring up the 100 cause I prefer studio audio. But also and I did as I'm fixsated with studio pro quality if this person even needs XLR. Cause yeah really the 100 is 1 of the best choises if you want an accessible studio grade recorder. But Yeah for quick little record and go things the H1 may do. I guess this person and I'm sorry I can't remember who it was at the moment didn't tell us much of what they want to capture.

On 4/4/2018 2:11 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
I wouldn’t term this discussion accessible rather useable and the Zoom H1 is certainly very useable in fact the H1 doesn’t even have a menu system.
The LS-100 would most likely be overkill for a lot of people though its something than I can use.
I use the LS-100 inside as its so sirceptable to wind noise even with the Gutman windscreen applied so that’s a serious drawback to the recorder.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 11:52 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@gmail.com> wrote:

What do you mean by accessible? If you want speach may I recomend the Olympus LS-100? It's verry pro and it talks.

On 4/4/2018 6:49 AM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Well, i don’t see the need for it in my daily live but i do want a good accessible recorder that at least can do good recordings.
/A

3 apr. 2018 kl. 21:32 skrev Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@gmail.com>:

Dude I so want 1 too. I don't think Neal has. I haven't talked to him in a bit but a few months ago when I heard it on youtube and asked him he haddn't. Yeah this thing's epic. I'll have to look for it again but when I do find the Zoom vid of a bit recorded for a movie I'll send the link so ya all can hear the epicness.

On 4/3/2018 2:41 PM, Andy via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my Zoom h6 to the new Zoome F8, 8 track digital recorder.

Anyone got one yet or do you know if Neil Ewars has completed a demo podcast on this monster?

Very best wishes.

Andy.
 From Scotland with Love.

--

"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"