Topics

Zoom F8n Outdoor microphone recomendation

Andy

Hi all.

Not done much since getting my Zoom. Things are a bit sad over here with Brexit I suppose.

Anyway, I've decided to purchase a Sure 57 and a 58 from a good store in glasgow. These are needed for indoor work and I need a bag and a tripoide with a right angle.

but still my thoughts return to out and about recording.

I'm in touch with a nice guy in America who is going to sell me a set of BSM 9 binaural microphones with a small power pack and XLR adaptore to convert 3/4 in to XLM. So that's on-going.

what I'm looking for now is a fairly high quality body microphone with windshield so I can get, at last , out and about in Glasgow, recording dozens of Buskers in the street.

So what would you use in my position, visiting, New York for example?

I'd also welcome a recommendation for an external power pack for the Zoom F8n from 10 to 16 amps -watts - or whatever they messure these things.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Very best wishes and have a very nice Thanks Given celebration with your loved ones.

Andy Logue.

Eden

I was going to get a Zoom but I was worried about how easy they are to operate. I don't need the 8 but is it easier than the 6 to operate?
Eden

Hamit Campos

As for packs go on to 1 of Curtis Jud's videos of the F8N and ask him in the comments. He'll respond. He usually gets back to me. I can't help with the body mic though. though you reminded me of a back pack kinda rig someone made up to strap a pair of Rode NT1-A mics to himself. I wana do that rig.

On 7/9/2019 1:36 PM, Andy via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hi again Hamid.

Curtis Jud' is a very nice person and I think he's like a sighted Neal euars.

I'm not sure if I have the skill to subscribe to his Youtube folder, though I'm sure he would be the very best guy to ask about these things.

I only wrote to this list with this question because I know there are a number of Zoom users on the list. Perhaps someone will respond later this evening.. Thanks for reminding me about Curtis?

Very best wishes.

Andy from Scotland.

[...]

Well since I think I just got rid of that email remind me again what pack vultages you want? I'll ask him. Also we may run into the fact that I don't know if you are here in the USA are you? other countries may have other things. I'm paying close attention to the new F6. It's small, it's got 6 XLRs all down the sides and the coolest thing about it is that it'll do 32 bit lloat wav. Also it's got duel A to D converters. So it's hard to destort it supposedly if not next to imposible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hamit Campos" <hamitcampos@...>
[...]

Georgina Joyce

Hello,

It is difficult to answer your question regarding the Zoom. I have just purchased the H6 and I like it. Although, I do long for accessibility. I have access to AIRA so have used agents to support the navigating of menus. But having put some work into it I can easily pick it up and record something, stop the recording and turn off. I then can insert the SD into my computer to edit etc. Which is what I wanted to do with it. Like with many things, we can choose to look at what we can’t do with a device or we can look at what we can do to get over accessibility issues. Is the Zoom useable by a blind person? Yes to some extent. But if you are looking for a fully accessible recorder then move along there’s nothing to see here.

The Zoom is a very well respected machine and there is a reason why some of us go out and still buy it even though the menus do not speak.

I would like to tell you more about how it is for me. But there is no point. Your patience with products for the sighted world is different to mine. So at the end of the day, it is a choice you will have to make and if it doesn’t work for you. You can only congratulate yourself for at least trying and not submitting to fear. As we shop online frequently. We can try products and if they don’t suit we have the right to return them.

Good luck!

Gena

On 9 Jul 2019, at 18:45, Eden <edenkizer@...> wrote:

I was going to get a Zoom but I was worried about how easy they are to operate. I don't need the 8 but is it easier than the 6 to operate?
Eden

Hi Gena. Well welcome to the H6 club. I'l own up i too thought on it and wrang my hands a bit because I can't remember menus like Neal Ewers. But idmititly I'm spoiled by Plextalks. I got it though because Aira and also because I do wana record in 5.1 surround sound. Just need the EX H6 and an external phantum supply and all's good. Well than also a DAW that can take all 6 mono files and make them 1 single multi channal 5.1 file.

On 7/9/2019 5:47 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

Always love to hear about new recorders too and I do very much love my Zoom F8N as I did my Zoom H6.
I would - if I had my time again however - not have bothered with the H6 in the first place for several reasons.
I do appreciate that for many of us - as was the case with me - that the F8N might seem the impossible dream when it comes to price but saving for the F8N is very well worth it.
Firstly the controls and construction of the recorder are far superior in my opinion, the level dials are far easier to adjust if you don't have vision, the controls on the front are marked for easier navigation which may be useful for some people etc.
As for microphones? Well you have the world at your fingertips as far as I know. I was looking for particular desktop microphones but I've gone away from that idea now. I already have one Audio-technica dynamic microphone here which was recommended to me in a Getting started In Podcasting article - can't remember the model number at this time -.
The microphone unit has both an XLR and USB connection so I think I'll buy a couple more and make a good job of it <smile>.
Each microphone comes with a small stand so they can be set on a tabletop or you can go all out and buy a huge stand that the microphones can screw into.

[...]

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Yes I believe the F8n is easier than the H6 to operate and I say this having
used both units.
The Zoom F8n has a bigger learning kerb when it comes to the minu system but
that won't prevent you from using the machine.
The dials are easier to set on the F8N than on the H6 given that they use
pointers and are very stiff to move so they won't drift about unless
deliberately turned.
The Build of the F8N is far better and the F8N is a little bigger but still
perfectly portable.
One can control the F8N from an IOS device using Bluetooth, control from a
bigger external control panel via USB etc.
The F8N is a few levels above the H6 in performance and price but - if
you're able to afford it - then very much worth the extra layout.

I was going to get a Zoom but I was worried about how easy they are to
operate. I don't need the 8 but is it easier than the 6 to operate?
Eden

Hamit Campos

Dude I'm still so jelus. I so want 1 for the quality. Don't get me wrong I love my H6 and I do love it's sound. But the F recorders seem to be so close to Sound Devices stuff. I'm looking at the $600 new F6.

On 7/9/2019 6:14 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Hello Dane,

It probably was the ATR 2100 which is the first mic I purchased. However, it’s noise floor is pretty bad. I recently obtained a used Shure SM58 which is far superior. I purchased a used Shure because it was declared to be a genuine Shure mic as the market is flooded with copies. What flattery.

I did think that the Zoom H6 could have been made a little more robust. I appreciated your comments about the F8N. I wondered how much can you do via IOS bluetooth connection? You said about the menu system being more comprehensive, or at least that’s how I read your comments. Can these be changed over bluetooth?

Thanks,

On 9 Jul 2019, at 23:03, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes that’s the one.
I only bought the microphone for Podcasting and it does well at that and probably wouldn’t be any good for Andy and the application he’s wanting.

On 10 Jul 2019, at 8:42 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

[...]

Na the 1 thing I do know it's an omni Andy needs thou    gh.

On 7/9/2019 7:48 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Great! Thanks for the info! I’ll go and download it from BARD as we speak.

                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10