Topics

Yesterday's Apple event

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
Well, one can have different thoughts.
I guess this will just be more Ios like on the mac as they split things.
I was sadly missing the event but i will listen to it later.
THe new Mac Pro which of course is out of my money range was interesting even though its nothing i will spend money on.
/A

4 juni 2019 kl. 23:15 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I can’t have one of those Mac Pro machines either but boy! Do I wish I could <smile>.
In the meantime I’m perfectly happy with my 4 Mac mini machines, 2 iMac machines and my MacBook Pro.
1 Mac mini machine runs the Plex Media Server here, another manages the Twonky Media server and is used to record from the Cable box, another manages Radio Archives and the forth is a server machine.
All these Mac mini machines are late 2012 models and still going strong.

On 5 Jun 2019, at 5:38 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Olesen

HI,
Yeah this new monstrous baby sounds amazing. Grin

Brian

[...]

You know of course that you can purchase an iMac Pro? - That’s an iMac machine with nearly the same specs as the Mac Pro itself -.
The new model Mac mini also if you like is a Mac Pro in Mini form, in the same case as the late 2012 Mac mini but one hell of a lot more powerful.
I did think about getting a new Mac mini model but the cost of upgrading accessories made the idea impractical.
Unlike the 2012 Mac mini models the newer Mac mini does not have USB ports rather it has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.
Nothing wrong with that but I’d have to change all my USB, Thunderbolt 2 and Firewire hardware to match the new standard.
The great thing if you want to think of it like this is that the Mac mini 2012 machines can now be purchased at bargain basement prices.
Not long ago a top of the line late 2012 Mac mini unit would be worth around $2000 or even more.
Now you can buy these things for $500 or so and - as I have done many times - I would recommend anyone who is seriously into audio to get hold of one of these machines.

On 5 Jun 2019, at 8:40 pm, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Hamit Campos

Dude the geek in me would love a Mac Pro. Or even the Core I9 I Mac even. As the IMac pro goes though I would love the 18 Core 1. I'm such a geek. Dain how is the audio of a Mac Mini? you keep saying that if 1 is into audio to get 1. How is the stereo imaging how crisp is it? How's the bass?

On 6/5/2019 6:54 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Firstly the Mac mini doesn’t have stereo microphones but it does have built-in in and out connections for analogue and digital.
Further to this the Mac mini Late 2012 has 4 USB 3.0 ports plus a Thunderbolt port thus an easy way to add yet more high speed USB ports if required along with further sound devices.
So some examples. I have a Belkin Thunderbolt Dock which not only has yet more USB ports but yet another set of audio in/out connections.
You can of course use your USB Sound device of your choice by just plugging it into the one of the USB ports and no extra drivers are needed for those high sampling and bit rates your device may support.
So with that out of the way lets look at some audio software you may consider using and the first product that comes to mind is Audio Hijack.
Audio Hijack does exactly what the name suggests, the App Hijacks any audio source from your computer whether it be App, physical hardware device or even a virtual machine running Windows, its your choice.
So once you’ve decided to capture the audio you then can decide exactly what you want to do with it, record it to whatever audio format you like, send the audio to another device whether physical, software or AirPlay or even over the Internet, its all up to you and everything works right out of the box so you don’t need a pilots license, truly amazing stuff.
So that’s just the start.

On 5 Jun 2019, at 9:46 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

Georgina Joyce

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Apple are going to have to get their act together as Voice Assistans are incredibly powerful these days.
With Alexa you can create routines and I imagine the same can be done with Google.
Samsung’s Bixby is even more powerful than that allowing a full scripting nearly.

On 6 Jun 2019, at 3:46 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Brian Olesen

HI,
But right now Google Assistant is the king, when it comes to understanding human voices.

Brian

[...]

Robin Frost

Hi,
I'm curious where they'll put the management of syncing ringtones especially on the Windows side not that that's worked for me for an age now anyway mind you but still I am curious.
I've an open ticket with Apple as we speak regarding the inability to successfully sync ringtones. First they tried to say it was because my ringtones weren't purchased from their store. When I proved to them that the affliction impacted purchased ringtones too I got an escalated ticket for whatever it is or isn't worth. It will be interesting going forward.
Robin

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

The only thing I got out of the event as far as Windows is concerned is that the Operating System hasn’t been forgotten.
My guess would be that Ring Tones will b part of Apple Music.

-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 5:15 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Hamit Campos

Yeah how about getting your music you buy on to a PC? Or a Mac for that matter? Like putting it into your own music folder to play with something else other than ITunes? I use WMP.

Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 5:15 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
Yeah she doesn’t understand what i say sometimes.
Really idiocy.
/A

5 juni 2019 kl. 19:46 skrev Georgina Joyce <gena@...>:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

I have a bit of a speech impediment that also causes her to not always understand what I say; I will send a text message, using Siri; if I say something that has the "R" sound, she'll sometimes get it wrong!

[...]

I wondered from your perspective, what assistant works best for you? I get the impression that Google, Alexa and Siri are equal in terms of understanding my request. I am wondering if the Google service is better as users can teach it their voice. Is Google tolerant of your voice presentation? Is Alexa better?

Please note, I am not enquiring about the response just purely of hearing correctly the users request.

Gena

5 juni 2019 kl. 19:46 skrev Georgina Joyce <gena@... <mailto:gena@...>>:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Brian Olesen

Hi Gina,
Google Assistant is very good at understanding human voice. Probably the best at it at the moment.
Alexa is almost just as good, but dear miss Siri lacks quite a bit behind.
The response voice that comes with Siri is seriously upgraded with iOS 13 which definitely sutes her!

Best regards
Brian

Yeah she doesn’t understand what i say sometimes.
Really idiocy.
/A

5 juni 2019 kl. 19:46 skrev Georgina Joyce <gena@... <mailto:gena@...>>:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Aidan

Gina, I love google assistant. Its available on many thirdparty
speakers also, and I recently aquired the jbl link20. And now I can
carry the thing around and don't have to sit at one place where the
GoogleHome mini is plugged in. Yes google understands easlier, I just
struggle for it to here me trigger it sometimes.

wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it
was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months
back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split
into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts
etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if
you’re using an IOS device.

Aidan

Dane, I am also thinking of getting an IMac, since then you have
everything in one, and its goog for audio, and I get the full feature
set in apps like garageband and yes, ios don't have something like
audio hijack yet.
And if you need to get the job done, weel then that is just necessary.
And IMac also have stereo speakers.

wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it
was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few
months
back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split
into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your
podcasts
etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if
you’re using an IOS device.

Thank you for bringing this model of speaker to my attention.
The thing I really liked about the Amazon Alexa Tap was its portability even though this was limited to the boundaries of a Wifi network there will still ways around this.
One could take the Tap wherever one wanted to journey to and use the Hotspot feature of your Smart Device as a Wifi connection to the Tap.
Overkill one might say and that’s true but one has to admit that Voice Assistants are just damn convenient particularly when they perform the tasks you wish to your exacting standards <smile>.