Topics

Voice of America 1575KHZ Thailand Transmitter received from SDR in Collia WA

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

A little treat for all of you who love to listen to them long distance Medium-Wave signals
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuh36qt4rt7a1yp/Voice%20Of%20America%20Thailand%20Transmitter%201575KHZ.mp3?dl=0

**********
“Better to walk alone through the storm than walk with the crowd in the wrong direction.”
**********

**********
“Better to walk alone through the storm than walk with the crowd in the wrong direction.”
**********

Steve Jacobson

Dane,

How was this received? The audio quality sounds fairly wide-band. My knowledge of geography tells me this is a pretty long path even if in the same region. I suppose it is somewhat similar to receiving a station from South America here in Minnesota in the United States which happens from time to time. The signal seemed reasonably clear of interference from other stations. Did you have to null anything out to get this?

A little treat for all of you who love to listen to them long distance Medium-Wave signals
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Ftuh36qt4rt7a1yp%2FVoice%2520Of%2520America%2520Thailand%2520Transmitter%25201575KHZ.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C7e0f4127e59b4015385308d74d30e56a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637062744713880590&amp;sdata=xwcKzS%2BgTKGikzPKGGzV8z8KuWrEh0V7XB3q6QKcJkc%3D&amp;reserved=0

**********
“Better to walk alone through the storm than walk with the crowd in the wrong direction.”
**********

**********
“Better to walk alone through the storm than walk with the crowd in the wrong direction.”
**********

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

The signal was received in a roundabout way and has a story to it so bare with me.
.
25 years ago one could receive the VOA 1575KHZ transmitter from Thailand where I live - 24 miles or so west of Melbourne Victoria Australia - but those conditions cannot be replicated in this area since we have a transmitter not too far away as the crow flies broadcasting right over the top of VO

I discovered a SDR - Software Defined Receiver - on the Internet set up in Collie Western Australia - around 2000 miles west from me - so I thought I’d give the SDR a go and see what was happening on 1575KHZ.
A warning to those who wish to try this SDR. The setup seems to be designed to receive signals above 1.5MHZ so you won’t get anything much on the lower parts of the AM Broadcast band.
As you can hear reception is pretty good though earlier on when I was listening the signal was more stable and even louder than it is in the recording - the marvels of a good AGC mask this -.

“Silence is golden and peace of mind.”