The new Zoom F8

Andy

Hi all.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my Zoom h6 to the new Zoome F8, 8 track digital recorder.

Anyone got one yet or do you know if Neil Ewars has completed a demo podcast on this monster?

Very best wishes.

Andy.
From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

Dude I so want 1 too. I don't think Neal has. I haven't talked to him in a bit but a few months ago when I heard it on youtube and asked him he haddn't. Yeah this thing's epic. I'll have to look for it again but when I do find the Zoom vid of a bit recorded for a movie I'll send the link so ya all can hear the epicness.

On 4/3/2018 2:41 PM, Andy via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my Zoom h6 to the new Zoome F8, 8 track digital recorder.

Anyone got one yet or do you know if Neil Ewars has completed a demo podcast on this monster?

Very best wishes.

Andy.
From Scotland with Love.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Yes I hope Neal’s okay, I eMailed quite some time ago but haven’t had a response.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 5:32 am, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Dude I so want 1 too. I don't think Neal has. I haven't talked to him in a bit but a few months ago when I heard it on youtube and asked him he haddn't. Yeah this thing's epic. I'll have to look for it again but when I do find the Zoom vid of a bit recorded for a movie I'll send the link so ya all can hear the epicness.

On 4/3/2018 2:41 PM, Andy via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my Zoom h6 to the new Zoome F8, 8 track digital recorder.

Anyone got one yet or do you know if Neil Ewars has completed a demo podcast on this monster?

Very best wishes.

Andy.
From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

Yeah I actually emailed him a while ago too to ask him again for the adress to his new site for his podcasts. No answer either.

On 4/3/2018 6:54 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Yes I hope Neal’s okay, I eMailed quite some time ago but haven’t had a response.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 5:32 am, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Dude I so want 1 too. I don't think Neal has. I haven't talked to him in a bit but a few months ago when I heard it on youtube and asked him he haddn't. Yeah this thing's epic. I'll have to look for it again but when I do find the Zoom vid of a bit recorded for a movie I'll send the link so ya all can hear the epicness.

On 4/3/2018 2:41 PM, Andy via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my Zoom h6 to the new Zoome F8, 8 track digital recorder.

Anyone got one yet or do you know if Neil Ewars has completed a demo podcast on this monster?

Very best wishes.

Andy.
From Scotland with Love.

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
Well, i don’t see the need for it in my daily live but i do want a good accessible recorder that at least can do good recordings.
/A

3 apr. 2018 kl. 21:32 skrev Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...>:

Dude I so want 1 too. I don't think Neal has. I haven't talked to him in a bit but a few months ago when I heard it on youtube and asked him he haddn't. Yeah this thing's epic. I'll have to look for it again but when I do find the Zoom vid of a bit recorded for a movie I'll send the link so ya all can hear the epicness.

On 4/3/2018 2:41 PM, Andy via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading from my Zoom h6 to the new Zoome F8, 8 track digital recorder.

Anyone got one yet or do you know if Neil Ewars has completed a demo podcast on this monster?

Very best wishes.

Andy.
From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

What do you mean by accessible? If you want speach may I recomend the Olympus LS-100? It's verry pro and it talks.

On 4/4/2018 6:49 AM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
As long as i have tactile buttons and not so many menus and such crap i’d be happy.
BUt olympus is an option.
/A

4 apr. 2018 kl. 15:52 skrev Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...>:

[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

All the Zoom recorders do good recordings as far as I know and that’s something they all have in common.
I’ve mentioned the Zoom H1 recorder before and I mention it again <smile>, a perfect recorder if you’re on a budget.
I’ve had mine for nearly 8 years now and I’m still impressed with the quality of recording.
Yes the recorder has pros and cons like everything else for sure and is not perfect but for a sub $200 recorder its a bargain nevertheless.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 8:49 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I wouldn’t term this discussion accessible rather useable and the Zoom H1 is certainly very useable in fact the H1 doesn’t even have a menu system.
The LS-100 would most likely be overkill for a lot of people though its something than I can use.
I use the LS-100 inside as its so sirceptable to wind noise even with the Gutman windscreen applied so that’s a serious drawback to the recorder.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 11:52 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Take a look at the Zoom H1 if you haven’t already.
If you don’t get the H1 with the accessories kit then you may wish to order this alongside the recorder.
The accessories kit contains a slick carrying case, mini tripod, microphone stand mounting pole, AC Adapter and USB connecting lead.
The H1 is supplied with a 4GB SD card though you’ll most likely want something larger than that.

On 5 Apr 2018, at 3:33 am, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Aidan

What about the zoom h1n, is that as simplified or are there more
menus? I was thinking of trying that since the h1 have a bit much
noise more than the newer models.

On 04/04/2018, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

The H1N from vids that I've heard is a little more geeky then the H1. But how much more of a menu it does have I don't know. Also the vids are done by sited people don't forget so menus don't bother them. Only if you have to dive into a whole bunch of things to do symple things. Or if they look uggly.

On 4/4/2018 3:57 PM, Aidan wrote:
[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

Yeah I guess I just always bring up the 100 cause I prefer studio audio. But also and I did as I'm fixsated with studio pro quality if this person even needs XLR. Cause yeah really the 100 is 1 of the best choises if you want an accessible studio grade recorder. But Yeah for quick little record and go things the H1 may do. I guess this person and I'm sorry I can't remember who it was at the moment didn't tell us much of what they want to capture.

On 4/4/2018 2:11 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

Oh well for it's week sound but there's also the LS-P2. But then again do you mind your recordings sounding little? Cause the P2 will sound little. I can't remember the H1 sound much and I don't remember if Neal recorded much with it. But it seemed to sound kinda little to me too. But don't mind me. You are talking to a dude that if the F8 were as accessible as the LS-P2 is even. Where you can even set the date and time your self and stuff, I'd totally find ways to get 1. Heck you're talking to a guy that wanted the Sound-Devices 6000$ 788-T recorder. Just cause I love the big fat mixer studio quality to them.

On 4/4/2018 1:33 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
[...]

From Scotland with Love.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I've not read any reviews on the H1N yet though I really should.

As far as the noise factor on the H1 is concerned? Well its there yes particularly on external microphones but unless you're in a really quiet situation - say a room with no noise - then you won't notice the noise from the recorder and there are plenty worse than the H1 so nothing to really worry about in my view and I think the noise thing is just something for everyone to talk about because they can't think of anything else to complain about when it comes to the H1.

There are a few things that do annoy me about this recorder and one of those is the resonance in the recorder but we are talking about a cheap machine and there are plenty of ways to avoid this interfering with your recording.

On 5/04/2018 5:57 AM, Aidan wrote:
[...]

From Scotland with Love.

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I'm assuming that most people won't want to bother with a studio grade recorder thus the H1 is quite a good option.

The only time things might be a little complicated with the Zoom H1 is if you want to set sampling and bit rates which are easily done by using the up and down arrows during "Record Standby" mode which is the default mode.

By default the recorder is set to 44.1KHZ 16 bit so pressing down takes you to 96KHZ 24 bit whilst pressing up takes you to 44.1KHZ 24 bit.

There are other ways to find out what sampling rate you're set to, you can use the induction loop pickup facility on your hearing instruments or an amp with a bare lead to hear differences in the speed of which the recorder writes to the card when recording, the quicker the speed then the higher the sampling and bit rate.

At 44.1KHZ the recorder writes to the SD card twice a second.

The Zoom H1 has a nice MP3 encoder if you prefer this and it may be useful for long recordings, the encoding goes up to 320K.

You switch between MP3 and Wave formats using one of the 3 mechanical toggle switches on the back, the other two control auto/manual record level and low-cut filter on/off.

And that's another think I'd advise against doing with the Zoom H1, don't use the Auto level setting and to be honest there's really no need to anyway.

Set the recorder to around 50% for input level and just use that.

Any level boost or normalisation can easily be done on your computer.

On 5/04/2018 6:14 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

 From Scotland with Love.

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

All I say is that if we weren't talking about the Zoom H1 and if I made recordings and didn't tell you they were from the Zoom H1 then you wouldn't be any the wiser.

The Microphones on the H1 aren't as good as those on the H6 but plenty good enough and the recorder does well for line-in sources.

On 5/04/2018 6:21 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

 From Scotland with Love.

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Hamit Campos

Ah yeah the hiss. Well I didn't go into that cause I don't know if the person cares. Na I was just saying that the sound quality totally sounds pocket size.

On 4/4/2018 4:40 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

 From Scotland with Love.

Hamit Campos

Oh that's a cool trick. Awesome I didn't know 1 could do that. That's epic! Though I don't use hearing ades that sounds like an epic idea.

On 4/4/2018 4:46 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

 From Scotland with Love.

Joe Paton

Hi all,

What a most interesting thread this is.

Looking for a recorder to replace my ls14, a good machine, but not what
I need for outdoors.

While considering the zoom range, I mindful that roland r7, and a
variety of recorders from tascam should be considered.

Anybody got any thoughts?

I have almost removed the roland from my shopping list, two inaccessible
for my simple brain.

Thanks.

JP

Joe Paton