Topics

Sound Forge Question About Applying Edits with an SFK File

Steve Matzura

I recorded something for three hours, edited it, and saved the edited version. When I attempted to play it back, it's as if the file contains no audio data because nothing is heard. I still have the original file and its SFK. Is it possible to re-apply the edits? It only took me half an hour to get the edits right, so if I have to do it over again, it wouldn't be a crime, but if I don't have to, I'll be happy twice--once because I didn't have to do it over, and the second time because I got to learn something. Advice appreciated.

Steve Matzura

I answered my own question by discovering that SF does not have this capability. That'll learn me to close it before I check what I've saved! LOL

On 7/29/2019 1:45 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I recorded something for three hours, edited it, and saved the edited version. When I attempted to play it back, it's as if the file contains no audio data because nothing is heard. I still have the original file and its SFK. Is it possible to re-apply the edits? It only took me half an hour to get the edits right, so if I have to do it over again, it wouldn't be a crime, but if I don't have to, I'll be happy twice--once because I didn't have to do it over, and the second time because I got to learn something. Advice appreciated.

Steve,
SF does not have this capability
Which surprises me. What's the purpose behind these annoying sfk files then? I never got the point of them, now I'm even more confused :)

Cheers,
Marcio <https://tinyurl.com/TlkTM>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Steve Jacobson

Marcio,

Sorry, I am not certain which feature you are referring to, and I don't know if this note was directed at me. What I know about the SFK files is that they store information about the audio file with which they are paired so that Sound Forge doesn't have to gather certain kinds of information over again. Some settings specific to that file may be stored there as well. Especially when you open a large file, you can tell a significant difference between opening it for the first time and opening it after an SFK file exists as opening it when an SFK file is already created is much faster.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

Marcio <https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2FTlkTM&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C54cd4bd2583a4440cfad08d714f5f3e3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637000918944736502&amp;sdata=PQWOoQNkh%2FdDgzYX2n1dqTuzwfmWeTBgvk51bfsov40%3D&amp;reserved=0>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Steve Jacobson,
Sorry, I am not certain which feature you are referring to, and I don't know if this note was directed at me.
Actually, my email was in response to the Steve Matzura!
Sorry for the confusion!

On the first message, he said:
I recorded something for three hours, edited it, and saved the edited version. When I attempted to play it back, it's as if the file contains no audio data because nothing is heard. I still have the original file and its SFK.
And then, he asked:
Then, on his second message, he said:
I answered my own question by discovering that SF does not have this capability. That'll learn me to close it before I check what I've saved! LOL
And then I answered:
Which surprises me. What's the purpose behind these annoying sfk files
then? I never got the point of them, now I'm even more confused :)
Hope things are a bit clearer now! :)
Sorry again.

Now to your message:
What I know about the SFK files is that they store information about the audio file with which they are paired so that Sound Forge doesn't have to gather certain kinds of information over again. Some settings specific to that file may be stored there as well. Especially when you open a large file, you can tell a significant difference between opening it for the first time and opening it after an SFK file exists as opening it when an SFK file is already created is much faster.
It makes sense. I thought these files would allow us to resume a project if for some reason it was closed without saving. It would be helpful, for example, if say we were on the middle of an editing process then our computer was restarted because of Windows updates and such.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Cheers,
Marcio <https://tinyurl.com/TlkTM>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Steve Jacobson

Marcio,

Got it, I understand now, it was apparently a different "steve". I hope my comments about the SFK's were somewhat helpful. Thank you for explaining.

Best regards,

Steve

Marcio <https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2FTlkTM&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Ce1c0a3c9c6ba432dc8c408d71510da5f%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637001034430614552&amp;sdata=mbzoDp0wL0R0bp4AIProblI85VSk8eWTxXvgq%2FyYMS8%3D&amp;reserved=0>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Steve Jacobson,
I hope my comments about the SFK's were somewhat helpful.
Oh, indeed they were. Now it makes sense having these files :)
By the way, do you know whether we can disable this feature? I know it was possible in previous versions than 10 but as I haven't found it on 10, which is the version I'm using right now, I don't know whether they've changed it.

Thanks a lot!