Topics

Simple AM/FM radio?

Mike Busboom

Hello everyone,

For my next trip to the US, where I used to live a long time ago, I’d like to purchase a small AM/FM radio that is simple to use. Many radios of this type these days have digital readouts and work well enough, but I am wondering if radios with just a tuner dial still exist.

Can anyone recommend something for me?

All the best, and thanks in advance,

Mike

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Yes indeed I can recommend something, the Sangean PRD6 which is as simple a radio as you can get.
The radio has an analogue tuing dial and 2 bands, AM and FM
The sound is great and can be fully adjusted to your taste with bass and treble controls.
AM performance is superb for a $30 radio.
If you want to go a few steps further then you might want to get the Sangean PRD17 AM/FM radio with Voice Prompts.
The PRD17 is an AM/FM unit but has voice readout so you know what frequency you are tuned to, has a useable alarm clock etc.
Both these radio sets are excellent buys.

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Busboom
Sent: Monday, 23 September 2019 11:05 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] Simple AM/FM radio?

Hello everyone,

For my next trip to the US, where I used to live a long time ago, I’d like to purchase a small AM/FM radio that is simple to use. Many radios of this type these days have digital readouts and work well enough, but I am wondering if radios with just a tuner dial still exist.

Mike

Mike Busboom

Hey Dane,

Thank you very much for this info. Do you know if these radios wil fit into a shirt or pants pocket?

Thanks.

On 23.09.2019, at 15:22, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

Yes indeed I can recommend something, the Sangean PRD6 which is as simple a radio as you can get.
The radio has an analogue tuing dial and 2 bands, AM and FM
The sound is great and can be fully adjusted to your taste with bass and treble controls.
If you want to go a few steps further then you might want to get the Sangean PRD17 AM/FM radio with Voice Prompts.
The PRD17 is an AM/FM unit but has voice readout so you know what frequency you are tuned to, has a useable alarm clock etc.

Hello everyone,

Mike

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

No they won't, the PRD6 is a small bedside portable but will easily fit into a suitcase.
The PRD17 is a bigger set with stereo speakers, perhaps a little too big for your application.

Sent: Monday, 23 September 2019 11:58 PM
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Simple AM/FM radio?

Hey Dane,

Thank you very much for this info. Do you know if these radios wil fit into a shirt or pants pocket?

Thanks.

On 23.09.2019, at 15:22, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

The radio has an analogue tuing dial and 2 bands, AM and FM The sound
is great and can be fully adjusted to your taste with bass and treble controls.

From: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike
Busboom

Hello everyone,

Mike