Topics

Sangean PR-D17 AM/FM Radio for the Visually Impaired

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
Actually not want to disrespect people here but i don’t get the Am/fm radio thing anymore.
I have a harman/kardon receiver here but i very very seldom use the radio in that receiver.
Maybe i am boring or stupid or something but why not just listen via internet.
/A

13 aug. 2019 kl. 22:54 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visually-impaire
d/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

How you entertain yourself is entirely your thing and I appreciate your points.
I hardly listen to local radio myself anymore given that I have better and higher quality listening options from services such as Tidal etc.
Having said all that however I do appreciate just how useful the Sangean Pr-d17 may be to someone who has a bit of trouble using a radio given the unit has voice prompts.
I plan to buy one myself to add to the collection and I’m sure I’ll get a good deal of use out of the unit.
Firstly the radio rates highly with regards to sensitivity on AM and FM and that suits me given I like to listen to long distance radio.
This feature alone marks a great change for a device with voice prompts, it has been the case that when when such a product has arrived on the market the product under performs its competition.
The second good reason to purchase this radio is that the radio is a full stereo set meaning you can take full advantage of FM radio - not that any of our FM stations give you much in the way of audio fidelity these days of course -.
The PR-D17 has RDS functions which display the name of the song playing, artist, station name etc.
The voicing system doesn’t speak this information and that’s understandable as you would need a full TTS platform in the radio itself to allow that kind of functionality so I suspect Sangean are using Static Speech.

On 16 Aug 2019, at 4:46 am, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

Hi!
Actually not want to disrespect people here but i don’t get the Am/fm radio thing anymore.
I have a harman/kardon receiver here but i very very seldom use the radio in that receiver.
Maybe i am boring or stupid or something but why not just listen via internet.
/A

13 aug. 2019 kl. 22:54 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visually-impaire
d/

Gary Schindler

That is why Sangean should concentrate on designing an internet radio with talking menus.

Once you have used a Sangean radio you get familiar with the nomenclature and how to operate them and to me there isn't much advantage to having one of these!

It is commendable that Sangean does for now build something with accessibility in mind.

--
Gary G. Schindler

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
I maybe could listen to BBC 5 live that way instead?
Since they seem to block VPN listenings these days.
/A

15 aug. 2019 kl. 20:59 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

[...]

You can still get around it I’ve discovered but to be honest the BBC - in my opinion - just ain’t want it used to be and I’m very disappointed that UK residents are forced to pay a license fee for such crap.

On 16 Aug 2019, at 5:18 am, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

[...]

That’s a most interesting point and I’ll give you my opinions from my perspective given I’ve owned quite a few Internet radio devices.
Portable self-contained Internet radio sets have not taken off in the market which perhaps isn’t surprising given the popularity of Smart Phone devices so really there’s no need for such a device.
I have had a number of Sangean Internet radio sets that have provided me with accessibility but that accessibility to the radio was provided by an App on a Smart Phone but still the radio talked and we come back to the same question, what was the point when my Smart Phone could do all that? The only point was that I now had access to the display text of DAB+ and FM broadcasts.
So I guess technology when it all is boiled down is as useful as you yourself want it to be or make it.
Other Internet radio sets I’ve used with great success include the Logitech U.E. Smart Radio or Squeezebox range which are still available if you know where to look and still supported.
These radios are accessed either by an App on your Smart Phone or directly via a HTML web page.
You can set alarms on these devices, set up one touch presets, add extra radio services such as Sky FM or whatever it calls itself these days etc.

On 16 Aug 2019, at 5:15 am, Gary Schindler <garys5462@...> wrote:

[...]

I think the smart speakers on the market cut into the internet radio market, maybe even crippled it altogether. The only internet radios seem to be needing to be set up with remote controls, knobs and buttont on the radio itself with know audio feedback! Grace and C. Crane seem to be the only manufacturers making anything these days.

I do know Dane if there were anything worth the while you would be one to let us know what would be available and how accessible it would be!

On 8/15/2019 4:00 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

-

Even internet radios have been passed by. Smart speakers will stream all internet radio sources, including those worldwide, all by voice command.

And they have many other sources of audio info including thousands of podcasts and the cable and other news sources.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019, Gary Schindler wrote:

That is why Sangean should concentrate on designing an internet radio with talking menus.

Once you have used a Sangean radio you get familiar with the nomenclature and how to operate them and to me there isn't much advantage to
having one of these!

It is commendable that Sangean does for now build something with accessibility in mind.

On 8/15/2019 2:46 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi! Actually not want to disrespect people here but i don???t get the Am/fm radio thing anymore. I have a harman/kardon receiver here but
i very very seldom use the radio in that receiver. Maybe i am boring or stupid or something but why not just listen via internet. /A

13 aug. 2019 kl. 22:54 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visually-impaire d/

-- XB

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
Yes i totally agree.
Sadly.
/A

15 aug. 2019 kl. 21:54 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

[...]

That's the theory about Smart Speakers yes however they don't always do what
you tell them to do.

[...]

I have few to none problems listening to radio worldwide on my smartspeaker. It is also a fraction of the cost of an intrnet or standard radio.

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019, Dane Trethowan wrote:

[...]

Casey

Hi does anyone have this radio yet?

If so how is the sound on A.M and is the F.M reception as good as the say it is and what about on A.M also can you set the alarm so that you could wake up to the radio as well?

On 8/17/2019 11:57 AM, - wrote:
[...]

A couple of things here.
Often these days - particularly it seems with broadcasters from the US - the
Internet Streams and free-to-air broadcasting are two completely different
things.
Listen to say KNX or WINS and what you get over the Internet is quite
different than what you'll hear from the Medium-Wave transmitter.
Next - as a DX Listener - I find Internet radio to be rather an insult.
That is anyone can listen to Internet streams and that's convenient without
a doubt.
But their can be no doubt that the fun and the challenge from a DXer's point
of view is to be able to listen to that far off station and furthermore be
able to report the fact - in both written detail and literal sound - to the
station itself.
I have managed to listen to KNX in the US from Australia a number of times
on the radio long before Internet was even thought of for this sort of
thing.

<grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visua
ll
y-impaire d/

-- XB

--
XB

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

If anyone would like to buy in the US then you will find it at Universal Radio
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/0417.html

[...]

Tom Kaufman

Dane: I understand what you're saying in regard to how what you hear over
the air is different than what you hear over the internet! Not all stations
are this way; WSM (in Nashville, Tennessee U.S.A.) as much as I've been able
to determine, is exactly the same on the internet as it is if you listen to
AM 650! But yes...there is something kind of special (and I can't explain
it) but if you can get a far-off station to come in good on a bonified radio
that is kind of unique! Having said that, I do enjoy being able to listen
to a station that is out of my area without having to contend with the
station fading out! I still can remember how it used to be, trying to
listen to the Grand Ole Opry back in the day; a song would be playing
and...just at the part where maybe a good instrumental solo was coming up,
WSM would start fading away to the point where you couldn't really hear it!
Of course nowadays, every now and again, you do get a situation where (if
you're listening on your computer or smart speaker) the connection drops;
this is also a pain! Fortunately (at least in my case) this doesn't happen
all that often! In regard to this San Gian radio: I might be tempted to
check it out further if it had the capability to get HD! I bought a San
Gian radio a couple of years ago (don't remember the exact model number) is
a nice radio and does get HD, but isn't quite as good as I thought it was
going to be! While it has wonderful selectivity, to me it tends to be a
little noisy on AM! On FM, if a station isn't really that close, sometimes
the stations will sound fuzzy or sort of like it is "miss tuned!"

<grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visua
ll
y-impaire d/

-- XB

--
XB

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

A very general statement indeed.
I can go to my local retailer and purchase a standard radio for $20.
As I've explained earlier listening to radio stations on a Smart Speaker is
easy in theory sometimes but doesn't always work out in practise.
Some radio stations on my Amazon devices for example it seems just can't be
played no matter what my voicing instructions whilst others require a skill
to play correctly.
I guess the real point here is never to put all your eggs into one basket.

<grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visua
ll
y-impaire d/

-- XB

--
XB

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Internet has a huge potential given the advent of 5G services but
free-to-air radio still has the advantage of being heard by potentially an
infinite number of listeners.
FM Radio sets have gotten so much better in such a short space of time. Its
now not uncommon to be able to purchase a cheap radio and be able to tune FM
signals from over 100 miles away.
I thought long distance listening on the Medium-Wave band might die along
with listening on Shortwave but this doesn't seem to be the case and if
anything the Internet has helped mature the hobby given the fact that more
information is available concerning those great radio sets which are
available today.
Would I advise anyone to go and buy one of those GE Super Radio sets from 30
years ago? No I would not as good a set as they are and really there is no
need to get a set of that vintage unless you are a collector as I am.
Why purchase a GE Super radio when you can buy something like a CCrane 2E or
Ccrane EP Pro, both these sets smoke the older Super Radio and so they
should given the changes in technology and better antenna which have come
along in 30 years.
The Sangean PRD-17 - subject of this discussion - is a testament to how good
radio has become for listening.

<grtdane@...>:

Now this radio may be well worthwhile grabbing.

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d7-am-fm-radio-for-the-visua
ll
y-impaire d/

-- XB

--
XB

Gary Schindler

Amazon has it too!

With all the cell towers and computer noise in general you can't DX any more like you used to in the states.