recording with a software timer

Joe Paton

Hello folks

A friend would like to record streaming radio on his pc.

He needs to set a timer, so that while away from his setup, the
recording will start at a pre-defined hour and minute.

Apart from Goldwave, is there a fairly in-expensive solution to this?
If not He is happy to pay what ever is required.

thanks.

Joe Paton
telephone: 01702 543624
Mobile: 0 7 9 6 7 3 8 2 9 6 4
web site: http://www.apart.org

Tom Kaufman

What about Total Recorder? You can schedule events with that program.

A friend would like to record streaming radio on his pc.

He needs to set a timer, so that while away from his setup, the
recording will start at a pre-defined hour and minute.

Apart from Goldwave, is there a fairly in-expensive solution to this?
If not He is happy to pay what ever is required.

thanks.

Joe Paton
telephone: 01702 543624
Mobile: 0 7 9 6 7 3 8 2 9 6 4
web site: http://www.apart.org

Colin Howard

Joe,

TotalRecorder will do exactly what he needs, least the version I have which
is V8.3PRO will.

I use it all the time to record whilst away, I can have up to five streams
recording on one pc at the same time but this obviously must depend largely
on the capacity of the broadband available.

TR needs the actual streaming link, such as, for radio 4 fm:

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p

Go to tools, down to scheduler and enter.

Then do alt n for new, enter.

You are now on the general tab, first field is comment, enter a short
comment which helps one negotiate through the list of jobs, then tab to
radio buttons, record, background play, default is record, this causes the
sound to play whilst recording, I go down to background. next two radio
buttons, absolute time and duration, default is absolute time this I use, no
idea about use of duration.

4 radio buttons, start / stop time, default once, below is weeklyh, daily
and special, I've not investigated special.

Next, series of check boxes, what these are depends on the last setting,
once gives you date spin box for year, month and day, defaults to current
date, cursor up/down to set required date then next tab is start-stop time
hh mm ss for each. Daily shows spin boxes for actual time, hours, minutes,
seconds for start then same for end. default is all zero, cursor up/down to
set for each. Weekly shows 9 selections, weekdays, weekends, then each day
starting with Sunday. Special, which I have never used, shows a settings
button, I do not know what this is or how it works.

Next, having chosen (daily has already been set) we have spin boxes for
start time hh mm ss and end time hh mm ss.

Now start-stop time now, use predefined cryteria, advanced buttons, I've
left these alone at default.

Next the url for the stream.

Next, is a more button, left this alone.

Then two radio buttons one says let TR choose the file name the other you
choose the file name into which the recording will be saved. On my system
in the my music folder, I have a folder called TR DownLoads, in this, a
folder for 2018, within this, a folder for each month, within this a folder
for each day, within this, TR would place the file in the form of the stream
url plus date and time, so far, I have not been able to find a way of
ensuring TR saves other than in .mp3 128kbps 44,100Hertz stereo, maybe one
of the buttons mentioned above makes this possible, or one of the remaining
buttons. The TR Downloads folder is populated as TR needs to set anything
up.

Next edit field for file name, next file name button, then checkbox create a
new track separator for each clip when background recording by default is
unchecked, then ok, cancel, help.

Jobs can be exported / imported.

Having created your job(s), go to apply, return, ok, return, job is
completed.

You cannot alter scheduled jobs when TR is running a scheduled job.

Hope this rather brief explanation is sufficiently clear.

---
http://www.avg.com

Joe Paton

Hi Colin,

How is an embedded link, say from an on screen player, extracted for use
with TR?

Thanks.

Joe Paton
telephone: 01702 543624
Mobile: 0 7 9 6 7 3 8 2 9 6 4
web site: http://www.apart.org

Joe Paton

Thanks tom.

Best regards
Joe Paton
telephone: 01702 543624
Mobile: 0 7 9 6 7 3 8 2 9 6 4
web site: http://www.apart.org

Colin Howard

Joe,

I use a list sent to the UK Radio Listeners' list, I paste it in below for
your convenience.

Please note, 5LivSportsExtra ceased to work, no idea why, somebody supplied
me with a different link.

National stations

BBC Radio 1

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio1_mf_p

BBC Radio 1xtra

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio1xtra_mf_p

BBC Radio 2

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio2_mf_p

BBC Radio 3

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio3_mf_p

BBC Radio 4FM

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p

BBC Radio 4LW

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4lw_mf_p

BBC Radio 4 Extra

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4extra_mf_p

BBC Radio 5 Live

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio5live_mf_p

BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/format/pls/vpid/bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra.pls

BBC Radio 6 Music

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_6music_mf_p

BBC Asian Network

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_asianet_mf_p

BBC World Service UK stream

http://bbcwssc.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcwssc_mp1_ws-eieuk

BBC World Service News stream

http://bbcwssc.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcwssc_mp1_ws-einws

Nations and regions

Radio Cymru

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_cymru_mf_p

BBC Radio Foyle

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_foyle_mf_p

BBC Radio nan GĂ idheal

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_nangaidheal_mf_p

BBC Radio Scotland

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_scotlandfm_mf_p

BBC Radio Ulster

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_ulster_mf_p

BBC Radio Wales

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_walesmw_mf_p

Local radio (all broadcasting exactly the same programme as I compiled
this!)

BBC Radio Berkshire

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lrberk_mf_p

BBC Radio Bristol