Topics

Reccomendations for Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds

Laurent Cadet de Fontenay

Sent from my iPhoneHi all!

My trusty wired apple earpods have finally given up the ghost and I'm now quite keen to enter the world of nifty little wireless earbuds with their conpenient charging cases! However, I'm loathed to throw money at Apple if similar or better functionality could be obtained elsewhere at a lower price! So, have any of you had any good, or bad, experiences with wireless bluetooth earbuds from other manufacturers?

I intend using these primarily for audiobooks and a bit of music on my commute, so my priorities for function are:
Low latency for effective use with Voiceover or Talkback
Reasonable battery life, and prefferably a charging case
Audio quality need not be suberb, as long as it doesn't sound like something talking out of a toilet bowl the way my new knock-off earpods are sounding right now! :)

I know for example, that Anker make the Liberty range of wireless earbuds. Has anybody checked them out?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

All best,
Laurent

Brian Olesen

Hey Laurent,
Well I probably would recommend you to get the quite new Airpods if latency
is a big issue.
If sound is more important I'd either go with some Bose Soundsports free or
the Samsung EarBuds.
I really love these. The Samsungs are small. They sound really good, and
they has a sweet metal carieing case.
The price is right too for the good quality.

Brian
[...]

Hi Brian!

Thanks for your thoughts.

About the Samsung earbuds: How do they charge and what is their battery life?

Also, would they work well with an iPhone?

I see they have an ambient mode, which sounds potentially useful. Any thoughts on using this mode as a blind person and how it affects perception of the environment, e.g. directionality of hearing?

All best,
Laurent

On 3 Sep 2019, at 17:52, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Yes they work fine with an iPhone.
5 hours then they need to be put back into the case for recharging.
I'm not sure, but I think it's 13 hours in all.
And this new generation even can be charged wirelessly.

Brian

My trusty wired apple earpods have finally given up the ghost and I'm
now quite keen to enter the world of nifty little wireless earbuds
with their conpenient charging cases! However, I'm loathed to throw
money at Apple if similar or better functionality could be obtained
elsewhere at a lower price! So, have any of you had any good, or bad,
experiences with wireless bluetooth earbuds from other manufacturers?

I intend using these primarily for audiobooks and a bit of music on my
commute, so my priorities for function are:
Low latency for effective use with Voiceover or Talkback Reasonable
battery life, and prefferably a charging case Audio quality need not
be suberb, as long as it doesn't sound like something talking out of a
toilet bowl the way my new knock-off earpods are sounding right now!
:)

I know for example, that Anker make the Liberty range of wireless earbuds.
Has anybody checked them out?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

All best,
Laurent

Tim Noonan

The latest Earbuds from Sony memorably named
the SONY WF-1000XM3 BLUETOOTH NOISE CANCELLING TRUE WIRELESS EARPHONES
are getting excellent recommendations for their exceptional audio quality and they also include great noise cancelation features. Call quality is also said to be very good. Advertising suggests that latency is also low.

Bose are supposedly nearly ready to release a new set of true wireless earbuds, but audio quality of earlier models is not stunning. Latency can also be a bit of an issue.

AirPods are particularly great for convenience of quickly placing and removing from your ears, but are better for spoken word than serious music listening. They are great if you like to keep connected with the outside world while wearing them, but are not much use in noisy locations or on transport.

For general iPhone access, books and podcasts and such I use my AirPods more than any other earphone or speaker option.

HTH
Tim

Tim Noonan
Consultant Speaker Coach

Phone: +61 419 779 669
Email: tim@...
Skype: TimNoonan
Twitter: @TimNoonan

Speaking, Coaching & Consulting: www.timnoonan.com.au
Voice Readings: www.voicereadings.com

On 4 Sep 2019, at 2:52 am, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks tim!

The apple airpods sound compelling for the kind of use case that I have in
mind. Mainly listening to audiobooks and podcasts on my commute, and
maintaining some awareness of my environment.

I am nevertheless very curious about some of the unbranded options, tons of
which are available on Amazon new paragraph has anybody tried any of these?

All the best,
Laurent