Topics

Question about Olympus LS-p4 tones?

Robin Frost

Hi,
Recently I was making a recording with the Olympus ls-p4 and at about the hour and 20 minute mark the unit emitted two tones of varying pitches. My first thought was this was a low battery warning but the unit was still operational when I stopped the recording. and when I powered it off and back on it reported battery level middle which may or may not be accurate. I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered these tones during recording and why they’d occur if battery wasn’t truly nearly dead?
It could be my perception but this unit seems to eat through battery life way faster than the Olympus ls-14.

Thanks in advance.
Robin

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Thanks for raising this as I’ve heard the same thing.
I think those two tones mean that a new file is being created, some audio file formats do have a limit in size.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 8:43 am, Robin Frost <robini71@...> wrote:

Hi,
Recently I was making a recording with the Olympus ls-p4 and at about the hour and 20 minute mark the unit emitted two tones of varying pitches. My first thought was this was a low battery warning but the unit was still operational when I stopped the recording. and when I powered it off and back on it reported battery level middle which may or may not be accurate. I was just wondering if anyone had ever encountered these tones during recording and why they’d occur if battery wasn’t truly nearly dead?
It could be my perception but this unit seems to eat through battery life way faster than the Olympus ls-14.

Thanks in advance.
Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
Oh is that what that might mean? Which file types and do you know what the size limit is? I'd not heard of this till this very moment. I have recorded for hours on the ls-14 in wav and mp3 and highest bit rate on the last and never heard that tone that I recall. That doesn't mean it doesn't do it too I just didn't think I ever recalled it happening.
thanks for telling us more about this. I appreciate you.
Robin

[...]

I think the maximum size of a wave fie - in PCM format - is 1.8GB.

-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:04 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io

[...]

Any limit on mp3? That's what I happened to be using at the time think at highest bit rate but don't quote me (smile).
Robin

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:04 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io

[...]

I don’t know as I don’t record using MP3 on the recorder as a rule.