Topics

Portable digital recorders

Eden

To those of you with this Zoom h6 do you have a list of the menu structure and how to get to things? I may re-order mine.
Eden

Georgina Joyce

Hello Dane,

No I don’t want to play with the phone route for editing. I am putting effort to learn Reaper and add FX. The Demo needs to be done via multi-track. Because my one track take is awful. Thus the Zoom route sounds good as it will provide quality source on SD which can be accessed by my Mac and then done with as I like for outdoor recordings. I am a keyboard junky and can use IOS and Android touch devices but I don’t like them. I think that extra money spent on a Zoom would be better than breaking my over £1000 iPhone. I would record on an Android because it could be stored on a SD like the Zoom for future editing and mastering. But I am not convinced that the DAC on a phone is up to the mark.

Regards,
On 8 Jun 2019, at 18:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

The more suggestions you have then the better you will be informed regarding your buying decisions and investments, obviously whatever you buy you want to last.
I have a Zoom F8N recorder as its a machine that can handle every recording task I’m likely ever to take on whether those tasks be as simple as recording meetings or as complex as recording an entire jam session.
The same size doesn’t fit all however and we all have budgets that we come up against so - even though I have a Zoom F8N - I’m a great believer in using what you already have at your disposal to do the job if at all possible thus saving you money.
This demo you’re planning on is it going to consist mainly of speech?
If that’s the case then the Shure microphones I mentioned in my previous eMail will do the job nicely even for music and you already have the hardware to utilise these microphones in the form of your iPhone and Samsung.
Getting recordings you’ve made from your equipment is pretty easy.
Suppose you take the option of using the Shure microphones, you can use the Shure Mative App for recording and exporting to other formats or use the Twisted Wave apps I mentioned to do the complete job, your call.

On 9 Jun 2019, at 1:57 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

To me it seems an exciting world. I don’t know what I will use things for until such time as I know what tools I have at my disposal. I have always made compromises and I accept that working with audio it is always making compromises. At the moment I just want to get a very nice sound as professional as I can at home and out and about. The Dragon-boat nationals are in October so got some time to play. While I redo my tutorial on DMR which sounds absolutely awful.

Yes, I am looking at stuff that could be overkill but such equipment is an investment so it is important to have room for growth. Rather than wanting something better 5 minutes after purchasing it.

Thanks, for your input. It is really making me think about how I get to my goals.

Gena
On 8 Jun 2019, at 16:26, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

Hi,
Based on the description of the task at hand I’m wondering if its worth the bother using something like the Zoom recorders we’re discussing?
The H4N Pro, H6 etc are all multi track recorders and fine recorders they are.
You may consider using the iPhone or the Galaxy phone you have.
I know with the iPhone I use a very nice recording tool called Twisted Wave or the free TW Recorder.
Using the iPhone itself the recorder can record 48K Sampling. Rate in stereo which may be all that is required for a demo when using speech.
Adapters may be required for use of particular microphones. With my iPhone I use the Shure NV51 or NV88 microphones.
Amazon is a treasure trove for this sort of stuff so it might be worth spending a few minutes doing a few searches, doing some browsing and see what you come up with.

On 8 Jun 2019, at 8:57 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello Christopher,

I am a radio ham and I decided to do recordings to demonstrate how to use accessible tools to access a digital system called DMR. While my resources have been very much appreciated. I really hate them. So I had heard Garth on Audio Pizza instruct the listener how to use Reaper. I also discovered the resources by CAVI and I am working through that material.

I recently went to Barcelona to paddle for Preston Dragons. I would have loved to record parts of the dragon-boat festival. While no-one can take our memories away I would have loved a recording of that event.

On 7 Jun 2019, at 22:43, Christopher Wright <chris@...> wrote:

Hi Gena,

What do you plan to do with this stuff? You might not need a digital recorder.

On 6/7/2019 4:46 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello,

I am just started, currently I only have a Yeti that I have used for years and a dynamic ATR-2100, the beginner’s mic. I have got my focus on a AT-2035 but I need to be careful how much I am spending. But father Christmas might bring me a Cad E-100S. I am only looking at cardioid pattern at the moment. The Zoom would enable me to use the 2100 and be ready for any direction of growth I wish.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wondered when you make settings are they maintained each time you turn it on? Also when you change the batteries are the menu options held?

Thanks,

On 7 Jun 2019, at 21:20, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

What kinda condencer do you have? I bought the H6 for the same reason. I have an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo mic. Comprized of 2 modded AT-4021s.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Christopher Wright - helping podcasters, trainers, and speakers produce and publish great spoken word audio without spending hours on editing
Phone: 914-664-5014 [If I don't respond within thirty seconds, you can leave a voicemail. If you would like to speak with me, please request an appointment]
email: chris@...
web site: www.wright-media.com
Twitter: @chrisw1
Skype: wrightmedia1
Linked In profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/wrightmedia

Georgina Joyce

Hello Hamit,

Where do you get all of your information? What are the features of the F6?

BTW: I am in the UK.

Regards,

On 8 Jun 2019, at 18:19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Ah true that. Also don't forget you all the F6 will be out soon. Again Gena this is up to how much dough you want to spend and have. I have an H6 but would love 1 of the F recorders. Again that's just me because I want reality quality. i want movie studio audio. The H6 is great though and I do love it.

On 6/8/2019 1:15 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

tim cumings

Hi, Georgina.
Another option is something like the sennheiser ambio smart headset, https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-iOS/dp/B0744PC5J8/ref=asc_df_B0744PC5J8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312026001792&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14690300091695391918&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002059&hvtargid=pla-450898583753&psc=1

This works with your iphone and will make recordings in binaural stereo. Especially if you are recording something like a dragonboat race in which you are participating, a person listening to your recordings wearing headphones will think they are piloting the dragonboat. Binaural recordings give a very lifelike experience to the listener.
I agree with Dane in the sense that I think any iphone out there today will make as good a recording as the zoom h6 or h8. Also, depending on the iphone recording app you are using and the amount of storage space you have on your iphone, you can record at 48 kilohertz 24 kbps which is fine for high-quality recordings.
Also, if you put your phone in airplane mode with a full battery charge, you can get a whole day of recording off of one charge.
I wouldn't edit on the iphone, however. For that I would use some type of audio editing software on the mac or pc, of which there are many good options.
   you can record

On 6/8/2019 11:57 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

h the UK. Well then I'd call what ever music store you have arround you. I use Sweet water. By the way I just saw the message someone else sent about the ambeo smart head phones. Well really they are ear buds. They really do give almost a surround sound feel to stuff. I watch youtube I listen to Neal Ewers's podcasts and talk to the guys at Sweet Water. The F6 is pretty much like the F4 and the F8N that Dain and Andy have I'm so super duper jelus of those 2. lol Na homies it's all good. I do want to hear those with a Rode NT1-A mic though. But yeah Gena like Dain said with something connected you could get good recordings off your phone. It's another reason why I chose the H6. Because actually it's capable of being used with an IOS device. Yes the mode says IPad and indeed it maybe for an IPad but it works. Now I can use my youtube channal more. Just need more vid ideas.

On 6/8/2019 5:26 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

Georgina, if you want to use a professional phantom-powered microphone like the cad with an ios device, you might look in to something like themCentrance micport pro 2,https://centrance.com/store/MicPort-Pro-2-Mobile-Recording-Interface-p129318859
This interface works with ios devices, macs, and pc's, and will supply 48-volt phantom power to your microphone. It also has a built-in rechargeable battery so it doesn't take any battery power from your iphone or android phone.

On 6/8/2019 8:42 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello,

Yes, I do I have an iPhone and a Galaxy. But I don’t consider them to be professional enough. Please change my mind on this? You may recall I wish to use the Cad Audio E-100S. I see some-one posted something about an XLR adapter. But what is the noise floor like on such devices? How shielded are they?

Thanks,

Gena
On 8 Jun 2019, at 00:28, Christopher Wright <chris@...> wrote:

If you have a smartphone, that's an option worth considering.

email: chris@... <mailto:chris@...>
web site: www.wright-media.com <http://www.wright-media.com/>
Twitter: @chrisw1
Skype: wrightmedia1
Linked In profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/wrightmedia

Georgina Joyce

Hello,

I was thinking about recording while on the boat. That product looks Ideal however, I can’t stand those in-ear things. It is very difficult to get the right tip to stay put and be not too uncomfortable.

Although the mics would need to be somewhere on or near my head as I am twisting and turning so the waterproofs would be rustling.

Thanks,

On 9 Jun 2019, at 00:02, tim cumings <thcumings@...> wrote:

[...]

I forgot to return to the fact that the DAC Digital to Audio Converter is not the best. So whatever bit rate and depth is used, or whatever microphone is used the recording will suffer. As you can appreciate, phone manufacturers have only just starting to focus on audio because there was a demand to improve video and camera functionality in the past. I am really seeking something more professional than a phone’s DAC.

[...]

?Georgina, the centrance micport pro 2 I mentioned in another message has its own a-to-d converter, so you would ot be using the phone's a-to-d conversion.

On 6/8/2019 7:26 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

No not any more. On the H5 and H4N Pro yes the built in or in the case of the 5 snap off mics are noisy. But the XLR mics are much quieter. Wow what a boyfriend you have. I'll leve my judging at that. But never the less if you have Aira now they could help you. See how that goes because if the lighting isn't too good with the phone camera people have trouble. I've spoken to Zoom about the screen lighting of the H6 at least. But anyways you just grab the peace and snapp it on to the front of the recordre. No I for 1 don't have a short cuts sheet. Neal Ewers had said he'd make 1 but who knows what happened to it. Re-order the H6 though if you wish. It's epic. Well depending on what you want to do the H5 maybe good enough though. I got the 6 for multi channal.

On 6/7/2019 6:35 PM, Eden wrote:
Are any of you using the Zoom recorders? I bought a 6, but I didn't have the Aira glasses at the time, and my boyfriend did not want to help me set it up so I sent it back. I've heard people like the Sony I forget which model but it's like 700 something. I hear some people say the Zoom mic preamps are noisy. If I bought it again, has anyone written any good shortcuts to learning the menus. I'm mostly worried though about assembling everything. It came with a mic stand holder to hold the recorder and also windscreens and mics and such. I didn't know what to do with what or how to tel lwhat was what? It's hard to hold my phereone to have people loo keven with the lanyard because it was like choking me.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Just to make it clear I wasn’t specifically saying you should use an iPhone for editing rather capturing your audio - recording - and then porting it to Reaper or whatever floats your boat.

On 9 Jun 2019, at 7:24 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

[...]

I didn’t explain very well as it was early hours of the morning. Obviously, the microphone changes an analog signal to a digital one. So the phone’s DAC is only relevant in respect of editing. However, there is still paths for the digital signal to travel and pick up noise. As I said, manufacturers have been focusing upon video advances at the expense of audio. I could imagine getting a Gig of audio would be quite difficult off an iPhone. The Galaxy S8 would be easier but it’s the S9 and 10 that are stereo and have a good audio system.

Regards,
On 9 Jun 2019, at 00:33, tim cumings <thcumings@...> wrote:

[...]

You can use dropbox with many iphone apps to export audio from an iphone.

On 6/9/2019 8:34 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

Curtis Delzer

which software would I install on the iPhone to interact with this headset? Is there any way I could connect this to my PC as well and interact with audio editing software there?

THANKS!

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 6/8/2019 4:02 PM, tim cumings wrote:
[...]

Na dude. All you need is what ever you have. You're talking about the samsung set right? Yeah even just the camera ap works.

On 6/10/2019 1:30 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

Curtis i don't think this headset works with the pc. However anything you recorded on the iphone wit with something like recorder hq that could be saved to dropbox would work.

On 6/10/2019 1:36 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

Ok, though it was tied to lightning connector.

thanks

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 6/10/2019 10:36 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

thanks, thought of drop box immediately after I wrote that message. :) I am slow, sometimes. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA