Topics

Overall accessibility of Zoom H6

Mike Busboom

Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a lot of discussion about the Zoom H6, so I know that it can be used by blind people. Does anyone know of a podcast which specifically discusses the level of accessibility of this unit. Does the unit have voice guidance such as many Olympus recorders, or is there a different approach to use from a blindness perspective?

With thanks in advance,

Mike

Georgina Joyce

Hello Mike,

Andrew sent me a sendspace link to a copy of a Blind Cool Tech podcast. Find that and you will have a comprehensive review. In short, no it doesn’t have any accessibility features. Now Zoom have released the F6 which has a IOS app and we have more access than ever to a professional recorder. This is featured on Mosen at Large 35.

If you want a professional recorder and have approximately £250 for the H6 or £550 for the F6 you won’t be disappointed. But do your own research.

Regards,

On 16 May 2020, at 13:24, Mike Busboom <mbusboom@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a lot of discussion about the Zoom H6, so I know that it can be used by blind people. Does anyone know of a podcast which specifically discusses the level of accessibility of this unit. Does the unit have voice guidance such as many Olympus recorders, or is there a different approach to use from a blindness perspective?

With thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike. Well if you are like me and get totally lost without speach no it ain't accessible but for arming and disarming and recording and stopping. There are no beeps so if you pause your recording you'd better remember you did to either re-start or not pause a recording by axident. I've done just that. Now I don't wana sound like it's tottaly not usable at all. I do have 1. It is unusable if you don't like to have headphones on and again if menus not talking confuses you if you don't have someone to read them. So tip 1 from me keep headphones handy. This way you can hear the mics come on if you light them up. Or you can hear if you use the XLRs weather they are stereo linked or not. I keep asking zoom to please oh please at least have someone sit in a studio like Olympus did. Because I think a speach synth would cost more no? Now the F6 is like the older and at this point some of the cheeper Olympus recorders. It does beep for starting pausing and stopping recordings, It beeps for low batteries oh yeah and that's another thing no warning from the H6. It just saves the file and dies. Yes obviously the screen shows the battery but again these things don't speak. So in any event back to the F6 for a second and the F8N for that matter. There's another beep for something else that I can't remember right now but the point is that those at least do those few beeps like the earlier before the DS recorders Olympus. Now you can call the Aira people or use Be My Eyes. That's what I've done. I also have my neice Abby help me too.

On 5/16/2020 8:24 AM, Mike Busboom wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a lot of discussion about the Zoom H6, so I know that it can be used by blind people. Does anyone know of a podcast which specifically discusses the level of accessibility of this unit. Does the unit have voice guidance such as many Olympus recorders, or is there a different approach to use from a blindness perspective?

With thanks in advance,

Mike

Aidan

It is werth noticing that you must update the h6 firmware
Then you will find that there are beeps for recording/stopping.

On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 15:10, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hamit Campos

Ah thanks for that. I haven’t checked the Zoom website in a wile. They must’ve written a new firmware at some point. When did you down load this? Well then for whom ever started this thread that’s 1 less worry my friend. Now we’ll know what the hell we’re doing with the thing. Lol! I’ll also have to give Zoom a congrats call. Yes I do that. I did when they did it with the F recorders.
I also said you’ve taken your first step. Like Olympus did. Hopefully you all can get to talking menus and settings at some point.

On May 18, 2020, at 12:56 PM, Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know what buttons are required? They have used graphics to show the button to be held while turning on and the button to be pressed to confirm.

Thanks,

On 18 May 2020, at 18:55, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gena. Better YouTube it as John did a vid on how to do it. But here’s what I seem to remember John saying. As you pull the switch to power up hold the play button down. Wait until that upgrade screen comes up. use the menu lever to go to okay and then I guess just leave it be. Again best YouTube how to upgrade H6 to be safe.

On May 18, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Hamit,

You are correct. Although he doesn’t say exactly what key to press for selecting OK or as the manual states Yes,. He says scroll to continue. It will be clear as mud, when I try it.

Did you say Neil has done a demo with your favourite mic? Is this for public consumption or did he do it for you.

Regards,

On 18 May 2020, at 19:51, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Aidan,

Who told you this? I have updated and I don’t have any bleeps. It maybe that the update didn’t take. The sighted agent had difficulty in seeing the screen, so I will wait until daylight and get them to check the version. In reading the notes I see the bleeps are for when used in conjunction with a camera and they appear on the film.

I will clarify this tomorrow.

Regards,

On 18 May 2020, at 17:56, Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gena. Well then yes. Hold the play button as you boot up, When that menu comes up scroll to yes press that menu lever in and bingo. Just leave it be after that. The screen will let you know when it’s done. Oh plug it in by the way. John doesn’t say this but just to be safe and not take the chance of bricking the recorder. What demo of Neal’s are you asking about? If the H6 he did use the NT1-A in it mostly at the beginning but he used it most in this podcast. Now if the F6 well now rode NT1-A into an F6 would be super awesome. We’ll see what he does as he just got it a few days ago. Also his site is having a page repaired.

On May 18, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Hi Gena. Better YouTube it as John did a vid on how to do it. But here’s what I seem to remember John saying. As you pull the switch to power up hold the play button down. Wait until that upgrade screen comes up. use the menu lever to go to okay and then I guess just leave it be. Again best YouTube how to upgrade H6 to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Yes, I have flashed many devices etc, so I had put a cable in even though the batteries are newish. I did get the prompts and it did state the update was complete.

Here’s the text from the notes but they don’t mean that much as the images have been stripped. I will get AIRA on the job later:
Outputting tone signals when starting and stopping recording (sound marker function)
When starting and stopping recording, the
When recording audio for video with the
can output tone signals (sound markers).
, by inputting tone signals into the camera recording, aligning the audio with the video will be easier.
Setting the "Mode"
Use to select the conditions for outputting sound markers and press
1. Press
2. Use
and press
3. Use
Marker" and press
4. Use to select a menu item and press
to select "REC"
NOTE
Markers will not be output when the overdubbing or voice memo functions is in use.
to select "Sound
Setting the "Sound"
Use to select the type of sound marker and press
Setting the "Level"
Use to set the sound marker level and press
07
ver.2.0 Outputting tone signals when starting and stopping recording (sound marker function)