Topics

Opening M4A's in Sound Forge 12

Steve Matzura

A friend read something for me on their Mac, and the files are Quicktime M4A format. I tried opening them in Sound Forge 12 to normalize them a bit, but was told by Sound Forge that I'm missing Quicktime version 7. A url was shown on the open error dialog which would take me to the download page where I could get Quicktime,but when I went there, the page said that Quicktime plugingsupport has been available in Windows since 2009. I'm not interested in plugin support, so should I download version 7 of Quicktime and install it anyway so I can open these files in SF 12? Or should I just punt the M4A files by normalizing and saving them in another format (like MP3) in Reaper?

A side question if I may.
What’s the reason you wish to normalise these files. Are you going to be using them in some sort of project or are you just normalising them for your own listening?

On 16 Feb 2019, at 2:10 am, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

A friend read something for me on their Mac, and the files are Quicktime M4A format. I tried opening them in Sound Forge 12 to normalize them a bit, but was told by Sound Forge that I'm missing Quicktime version 7. A url was shown on the open error dialog which would take me to the download page where I could get Quicktime,but when I went there, the page said that Quicktime plugingsupport has been available in Windows since 2009. I'm not interested in plugin support, so should I download version 7 of Quicktime and install it anyway so I can open these files in SF 12? Or should I just punt the M4A files by normalizing and saving them in another format (like MP3) in Reaper?

Steve Matzura

Just for my own use.

On 2/15/2019 10:17 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Okay well at that rate you’d be better off using Auto Replay gain which just about every audio Media Player supports.
This way the player does all the level adjustment for you to normalise everything.