I don’t know whether the below eMail was particularly useful given that the question was asked of VLC and not Winamp.
I do of course use VLC and I do know that VLC has a Bookmarking feature but I’ve never used it thus I don’t know the extent of the function nor its capabilities - I don’t listen to Audio books in this way and if I do then they’re divided into tracks so that’s my bookmarking -.
But in all events, give the function a try and if there’s anything amiss or if you’d like to see some functionality added then drop the team at VLC a line.

On 2 Feb 2019, at 9:35 am, Barry Chapman <barry@...> wrote:

You can do all of those things with Winamp.

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Heath via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, 2 February 2019 9:00 AM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] FW: Of Interest

Hi to Tom and others. What I wish vlc could do for me is: book mark for I'm
using it to read talking books; the equalizer for music, and giving
information on position. Except for the book marks I could do most of those
things with media player.

From: marianne Interest

Hi Tom,

If you use Windows 7 as I do, this may be of interest to you.

Windows 7's Windows Media Player app is about to get worse

By

Matt Hanson

3 hours ago

Software

No more metadata

As Windows 7 hurtles towards its end of life date (January 14 2020), it
looks like Microsoft is beginning to strip features from the ageing
operating system,

and it has now removed a key feature from Windows 7's Windows Media
Player.

According to

a support document

that Microsoft quietly updated a few days ago, "you may be unable to view
information (metadata) such as the title, genre, and artist for songs,
and
the

director, actors, cover art, and TV guide for movies in Windows Media
Center
and Windows Media Player."

This move also affects the Windows Media Center app found in Windows 7,
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

So, it looks like when you import music or videos into Windows Media
Player
in Windows 7, titles, artist names and other information won't be
downloaded.

This is a major blow to the usefulness of the app, in our view.

Why?

Microsoft looked at customer feedback and usage data regarding the
feature
and decided to discontinue it, so it probably means not many people were
using

it.

If you were, it might mean it's time to finally upgrade from Windows 7 -
as
you'll probably want to anyway before January 14 next year - or start
using

an alternative such as

VLC Media Player.

While the removal of this feature is disappointing, Microsoft has
promised
that metadata that's already been downloaded will still be available - it
just

won't download metadata for new media you add.

Microsoft has also explained that this change won't affect any of the
app's
media playing functionality, such as playback, media stream and other
major

features.

Still, it's a reminder that it's probably worth thinking about upgrading

Windows 10.

Barry Chapman

I was just suggesting another alternative, since Media Player was also mentioned.