Topics

Major problems when attempting to record a stream

Donald Roberts

I have two PCs, each of which is running Windows 10 version 1909.  The HP has the problem, the Dell does not.  I usually use Window-eyes  9.5.4,  but use Jaws 18 when W E encounters an issue, though I am confident this is not relevant to my current issue.

There are times when I wish to record a stream from the internet. So I fire up Total Recorder and set the source selection to stereo mix, having first gone into the sound card settings to make sure that stereo mix is selected.  But when I attempt to record, the sound is recorded but plays back at an extremely accelerated rate of speed.  Yes, I know that Total Recorder has a speed adjustment.  So I make sure that it is in the normal position, and to prove this, I play back a recording which was not made from streaming.  And this test recording plays at a normal speed.

So in order to investigate further, I change to other recorders including Studio Recorder and Gold Wave, all of which exhibit the problem when I attempt to record a stream. There was a recent thread regarding something called Wave Max.  Unfortunately, I paid no attention to this thread but in retrospect wonder if Wave Max might be an issue.

I am hoping that someone on list has encountered this issue and has found a solution.  If so, what is the solution?

Thanks.
    Don Roberts

Georgina Joyce

Hello,

It sounds like you are mixing sample rates. Check that every listing matches. whether it be 44,100 or whatever, the hardware can handle.

Regards
On 2 Jun 2020, at 04:01, Donald Roberts <donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much, Georgina, for your prompt response.  What you suggest makes sense.  But suggest places to check.  For example, I know how to check sample rates in the various recording programs such as Total Recorder, GoldWave, and Studio Recorder; but where would I check sample rate settings in the sound card?  When I look at those settings, all I see are volume, balance, and whether or not to listen while recording.

Thanks.

Don Roberts

On 6/2/2020 8:23 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

Hello Don,

Dependent upon the driver. so it may be as part of the driver properties. Mixers and interfaces may have a ASIO driver so windows has a control panel item. Most of which are not accessible. I am guessing you will need to explore the device manager and look through the tabs of the driver.

HTH

On 2 Jun 2020, at 19:44, Donald Roberts <donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]

Colin Howard

Greetings,

I am surprised in TR you are using the stereo mix, I do not for live
streams, I capture the sound off the stream by using background recording.

Then, again, what live streams are you taking?

I can supply you with direct links for all the BBC streams plus a few others
such as The Ride Radio Etc.

Do you know how to use TR's background recording function?

I use it extensively and can take about five streams on the same machine
together and none interfere with each other, maybe I could have more, think
this is rather dependent on my broadband capabilities.

I can have them all set to background mode, meaning I don't hear the
streams, I can go into any and play as it records, stopping play leaves play
at the stop point and resuming picks up. You can wind back or forward but
when you meet the point of recording, play goes back to the start.

If you want more info, please come back privately to me at:

colin@...

I've been using TR now for about ten or maybe even more years, my current
version is V8.3Pro, I do have V8.6Pro but being happy with the older one,
not installed it yet. I use TR on my old WXP laptop and my W7 desktop.

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 20:01:51 -0700, "Donald Roberts"
<donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

-I have two PCs, each of which is running Windows 10 version 1909.  The
-HP has the problem, the Dell does not.  I usually use Window-eyes
-9.5.4,  but use Jaws 18 when W E encounters an issue, though I am
-confident this is not relevant to my current issue.
-
-
-
[...]

---
https://www.avg.com

stewartross

is studio recorder jaws user friendly?

[...]

Studio Recorder works well with any screen reader.  I usually use Window-Eyes, but Jaws also works very well with it.

Don Roberts

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Roberts" <donald_roberts_99@...>
[...]

Did you nail your problem?

Gena

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Roberts" <donald_roberts_99@... <mailto:donald_roberts_99@...>>
[...]

No, I haven't nailed it yet.  My next door neighbor can't get back here from Hawaii because of the lockdown.  He is a computer genius and will probably make short work of this.

Don Roberts

On 6/3/2020 7:53 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
[...]

Have you tried changing the sample rate within the app you are using? Looking back, I see the problem is that it is recording too many samples. So do a test recording at half the sample rate. I mainly use a Mac and would use Amadeus to play such a recording and adjust the sample rate. I have no idea how you would do that on Windows? If you have kept any of the recordings you could use them to troubleshoot.

Good luck

On 3 Jun 2020, at 17:32, Donald Roberts <donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]

Donald,

I find it unbelievable you've not managed to sort this speed problem, I sent
you concise and clear instructions how to go about it in GoldWave, did you
ever receive them?

If not, I'll look up the original post again and resend to the list.

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 07:40:04 -0700, "Donald Roberts"
<donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]
->>
->>
->> Thanks.
->>
->>
->> Don Roberts
->>
->>
->> On 6/2/2020 8:23 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
->>> Hello,
->>>
->>> It sounds like you are mixing sample rates. Check that every listing
->>> matches. whether it be 44,100 or whatever, the hardware can handle.
->>>
->>> Regards
->>>> On 2 Jun 2020, at 04:01, Donald Roberts
->>>> <donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:
->>>>
[...]
->>> Call: M0EBP
->>> DMR ID: 2346259
->>> Loc: IO83PS
->>> 73
->>>
->>>
->>>
->>
->>
->>
->
->
->
->
-
-

---
https://www.avg.com

Colin Howard

Greetings,

here is the message I sent to the group yesterday, to which, Donald, you
neither replied nor acknowledge on list or privately to me.

To: all-audio@groups.io
From: "Colin Howard" <Colin@...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 08:33:46 +0100

Greetings,

<donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]

as, no doubt you have noted, not GoldWave, but Total Recorder! Senior
moment, too many pieces of software doing similar jobs!

On Thu, 04 Jun 2020 12:45:44 +0100, "Colin Howard" <Colin@...> wrote:

-Donald,
-
-<donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:
-
--Studio Recorder works well with any screen reader.  I usually use
--Window-Eyes, but Jaws also works very well with it.
--Don Roberts
--On 6/3/2020 4:40 AM, stewartross via groups.io wrote:
--> is studio recorder jaws user friendly?
--> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Roberts"
--> <donald_roberts_99@...>
--> To: <all-audio@groups.io>
--> Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 7:44 PM
--> stream
-->
-->
-->> Thank you so much, Georgina, for your prompt response. What you
-->> suggest makes sense. But suggest places to check. For example, I know
-->> how to check sample rates in the various recording programs such as
-->> Total Recorder, GoldWave, and Studio Recorder; but where would I
-->> check sample rate settings in the sound card? When I look at those
-->> settings, all I see are volume, balance, and whether or not to listen
-->> while recording.
-->>
-->>
-->> Thanks.
-->>
-->>
-->> Don Roberts
-->>
-->>
-->> On 6/2/2020 8:23 AM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
-->>> Hello,
-->>>
-->>> It sounds like you are mixing sample rates. Check that every listing
-->>> matches. whether it be 44,100 or whatever, the hardware can handle.
-->>>
-->>> Regards
-->>>> On 2 Jun 2020, at 04:01, Donald Roberts
-->>>> <donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:
-->>>>
[...]
----
-https://www.avg.com
-
-
-

Donald Roberts

Sincere thanks for your comprehensive response.  Sorry for my delayed response.  Yes indeed, Collin, I did receive that message and have saved it for future reference.

The majority of streams which I record are not musical; therefore, I wasn't concerned about quality, and the stereo mix option suited my needs.  You mentioned background recording.  Are we talking about something like audio cable?

Don Roberts

To: all-audio@groups.io
From: "Colin Howard" <Colin@...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 08:33:46 +0100

Greetings,

<donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]

I know nothing about audio cable, I am discussing a function in total
Recorder. This can be used to time shift a recording or immediate capture.
I believe GoldWave has a similar feature but never tried using it.

Not quite true, I did, ages ago but could not resolve exactly what format of
url it required.

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:53:23 -0700, "Donald Roberts"
<donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:

[...]
-> To: all-audio@groups.io
stream
-> From: "Colin Howard" <Colin@...>
-> Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 08:33:46 +0100
->
-> Greetings,
->
[...]
-> <donald_roberts_99@...> wrote:
->
-> -I have two PCs, each of which is running Windows 10 version 1909.  The
-> -HP has the problem, the Dell does not.  I usually use Window-eyes
-> -9.5.4,  but use Jaws 18 when W E encounters an issue, though I am
-> -confident this is not relevant to my current issue.
-> -
-> -
-> -
[...]
-> ---