Topics

Latest iPod touch does anyone have it

Does anyone on list have the latest Apple iPod touch?
I’m thinking of buying one to compliment the other IOS devices I have here.
I like the idea of having a small device - something smaller than the iPad mini - about the size of an iPhone but not being an iPhone.
I did have an iPod touch 2nd Generation all them years ago and I was extremely fond of that machine.
The speaker wasn’t that great - still better than that of the Victor Reader Stream though - and the device just got so slow over the years so I eventually gave it away to a teenaged Blue-Eyed Groovy who appreciates it to this day.
So with the latest generation I would imagine the quality of the speaker is better though probably not as good as say an iPhone 8 or X, so long as the quality is better than it was as I remember it.
Apple have a model with 256GB storage which is the model I’m considering.
The latest generation runs the A10 processor.

Aidan

Very good to consider if you stil have a good mike for it such as zoom
IQ6. I might do it later on, as my IPhone is now dying.

On 7/22/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Merv Keck

Hi,
I bought a 256 iPod Touch latest generation recently for my wife when her Stream second Generation died. Her stream was not that old and she was not getting any support. I decided it was more economical to get the new Touch. And I never did think the Stream was a good choice. The Stream replaced the Plextalk Pocket which she got at a significant discount and ended up giving away because it was absolutely worthless in my humble opinion. Ok, not so humble opinion. Laughs! I can't decide which one I hated worse.
As for the touch, it is a pretty nice little device if you want a secondary go to device for portable listening and recording. She has a 12.9 512 GB iPad Pro and an iPhone 8+ which she will be upgrading the phone this spring on the Next plan with the 11 or whatever they call it this fall when it comes out. so for her the touch is used mostly for books, podcasts, exercise workouts, and recreational music on the fly.
The device itself is really compact compared to the 8+. It is sturdy and has good sound for such a small device. Obviously not gigantic sound. It is really little. But good sound for such a tiny device. And with the processor it runs pretty much everything you need it to run. Some people scoffed at it because it didn't have the new chip that the latest and greatest iPad Pro had. But unless you plan on running this little tiny thing like an iPad Pro what did you need that for?
My only real reservation or two reservations were: the battery life could be better. Perhaps its size meant the battery was small? It needs charged more often than I like. But we live in Florida. Hurricane country! So we both keep enough external batteries handy to ride out a six day power outage at any given time so that is not a problem.
The other reservation I have is I can't wait until every new device is switched to USB C. My own personal preference. But this still has a lightning port and an old fashioned earphone jack.
Having said all of that, I never leave the house myself. Or I would have bought one without hesitation. I just didn't need one. I have my own 8+ and iPad Pro and didn't need anything else.
Merv

[...]

John Gurd

I thought about it but the chip is only the equivalent of iPhone 7 and it could be obsolete in a year. The thing that really put me off though was that it doesn't use a finger-print sensor. The thought of entering a very long string every time I wanted to use my password manager really did it!

John

[...]

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

The iPhone 7 will be support for a few years yet so that doesn’t worry me in the slightest.
I have an iPhone 8 as it is and did think about getting an iPhone 7 at the time I bought the 8.
The iPhone 7 as far as I know uses the A10 chip as does the latest iPod touch and that’s only 2 generations of chip behind the latest Apple iPhone X which uses the A 12 as does the current iPad mini model.
I’m looking at the Tech Specs sheet here and a Fingerprint reader isn’t mentioned so I’m going to have to go back in time and type my Password every time I wish to unlock the device <smile>
The iPod touch doesn’t support Apple Pay either but then again I suppose it can’t given that it doesn’t have a fingerprint reader.

On 23 Jul 2019, at 3:16 am, John Gurd via Groups.Io <j.gurd=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Not a problem at all as your humble opinion is both respected and appreciated, probably because I agree with it entirely <msile>.

[...]

That is correct. It is not a problem here though. she has some issues with every fingerprint reader she has ever used on every phone and actually doesn't miss it.
Merv

[...]

I use a Logitech K480 which is a $22 keyboard from amazon that does not have a numeric keyboard. But it is small and cheap and has the ability to pair simultaneously with three devices at the same time. My wife pairs her K480 with her iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. I pair mine with my iPhone, iPad and I used to pair it with my apple TV 4 but I never use it anymore so now I pair it with an Echo show 5 instead.
Merv

[...]

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
THe price is overkill but i do like the size.
I really want one but i am not as lucky as some that has the money.
Only jellous!
BUt i really do want one.
/A

Aidan

The finger print don't bother me either. I mean, after all, I probibly
won't even put a passcode on it as its not my phone, and so not the
same important stuff will live there.

On 7/22/19, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...> wrote:
[...]

The Victor Stream 2nd generation was one of the worst access tech thing i bought.
Its the worst crap i have hold in my hand.
It turns off if i am not to careful and hit the wall or something else with it.
And i have to begin from the place i was long before i hit the stream if you do understand.
People do enjoy this device and of corse i do respect that but in my opinion it should has cost les than it does.
Its a shame humanware can release such a device.
So from that perspective the Ipod touch is not expensive at all.
/A

22 juli 2019 kl. 19:42 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

[...]

If i buy one i wont care either.
I use apple pay on my Iphone XR and faceID is great.
/A

22 juli 2019 kl. 19:57 skrev Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>:

[...]

Brian Olesen

Hi.

Agree. This battery definately doesn't fit too well.

Brian

[...]

I wonder how she would go with the new way that Samsung does fingerprint reading with the Samsung Galaxy S10 where you just press the screen.
I'm not saying that she should get one of course, just curious.

[...]

I'm just so used to using the onscreen keyboard so entering characters for me isn't too much of a problem.
That's one very nice thing about IOS, the multiple methods offered for typing. I mainly use "Split-Tap".

[...]

It would be an interesting experiment.

[...]

I uunderstand completely sir <smile>.
It will take me a little while to afford this little beauty and I would say
that the iPod Touch is one of Apple's cheaper devices, everything Apple is
too expensive but it's the old saying isn't it, you either want it or you
don't.
That aside there are 3 good models to select from starting from the 64GB,
128GB and 256GB.

THe price is overkill but i do like the size.
I really want one but i am not as lucky as some that has the money.
Only jellous!
BUt i really do want one.

Its interesting how many people just don't use the fingerprint reader or perhaps who can't use a finterprint reader.
I Know someone who has an iPhone X and who can't get facial recognition to work so.. you guessed it.. no fingerprint reader.

[...]

Here the 256GB iPod Touch isn't all that much more expensive than the Stream.
I've had both generations of streams and thought the 2nd Generation was better but that too still had an absolutely grubby sound to its speaker.
Thankfully I never had any problems with my unit apart from the fact that I found the Stream incredibly slow when connecting to Wi-Fi and so on, I believe Humanware fixed all that through a series of firmware upgrades.

[...]

Wouldn't be without Apple Pay on my iPhone, just so convenient.
I use Google Pay on the Samsung Galaxy S10.