Topics

Has Anybody Tried Sound Forge 13?

Steve Jacobson

As some of you know, Sound Forge is now owned by Magix, and they are very, very aggressive about their upgrades. In addition, their upgrade pricing is pretty high even if you respond to their upgrade offer. For example, there is currently a limited time upgrade from version 12 to 13 for $199. However, they are advertising changes to the interface to let one customize the interface more. This could mean there are possibilities to tailor it to one's advantage, or they could have changed their interface in such a way as to make it less accessible. Has anybody tried this yet? I do get some frustrated with promises in new versions of Sound Forge that don't seem to benefit me but I have upgraded to take advantage of what I feel are nothing more than bug fixes. Yet, I do like the program and I've used it so long that I don't really want to change yet.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

Hamit Campos

Hi Steve. Well nothing fancy. But I did try basic recording and meh it's all the same. I may have to say uncle when it comes to Sound Forge though sadly because it hates, it detests the H6. Yeah you can set it up as a 6 in thing but once you tell it use this it crashes. So much for that then. Even the new audio studio 13 that can supposedly do 5.1 hates it. So no haven't messed with it much more than that.

On 5/3/2019 10:28 AM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Dane Trethowan

I’m just getting over the shock of Sound Forge 12 <smile>
For $199 I’d be happy to upgrade to Sound Forge 13, if I can continue using the app the way it is now then I’ll be perfectly happy as I am with 12.
12 was a huge leap forward as far as I’m concerned.
Not so much for accessibility and usability though everything I had used previously seems to work.
All the bugs and stability issues seem to have been resolved in the rewrite and the programme runs noticeably faster so I’m now getting the sort of performance with Sound Forge 12 for Windows that I am getting - and have always had - with the Mac version of Sound Forge.
And should Sound Forge ever become inaccessible or to the point of being totally unusable by those without sight? Well thankfully I have great alternatives here that I have made myself learn and use if such events do happen.
The world of technology changes constantly so what works today may not work tomorrow.
One of my favourite things about Sound Forge is the ability to edit/navigate by sample if desired.
I’m sure there are other packages around that do this but Sound Forge for Windows and Mac is one of a few where sample navigation and editing is completely accessible.
Twistedwave is another package which has very useable sample navigation and editing.

On 4 May 2019, at 12:28 am, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

One of the claims was an entirely new VST interface. In the past, VST plug-ins have not been all that accessible in my experience, did you notice any change there? I am not familiar with what you tried, though, so don't understand if it may have involved VST Plug-ins or not, sorry if this should be obvious to me.

Best regards,

Steve

[...]

I guess you are saying in a better way what I was trying to say. I was happy with the upgrade to Sound Forge 12, but much of the advertised improvements either were not relevant to me or I did not find to be very usable. What I have always done could still be done, and I definitely experienced some performance gains. I suppose I should just upgrade so that if something changes in Windows that is not compatible I have the latest version.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

[...]

You’ll have to get Google out for this I’m afraid.
Someone did write an article on how to access VST effects in Sound Forge 12.
I no longer have the page otherwise I would have forwarded the link.

On 4 May 2019, at 12:48 am, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

Ah no I just installed an ASIO driver. Well 2 because the H6 has 2. It has 1 for stereo and 1 for multi channal. I know what you mean though. No I didn't mess with that seeing I couldn't use the H6 for 5.1 surround imput anyways.

On 5/3/2019 10:48 AM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Yep that pretty much sums up my view on the subject <smile>
I’m extremely thankful that the price of sound Forge - and upgrades - has dropped significantly over the 20 years I’ve known the product which is a huge benefit to all.
Magix also offer a subscription service for Sound Forge Pro if people would prefer.
The subscription service has some great advantages the most obvious being that you are always running the latest version of Sound Forge on your Windows machine.

On 4 May 2019, at 12:53 am, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

The 1 beef I have with them is contacting them. It's not easy to get hold of them and you have to buy time or something. I wana report to them the thing about the H6. Because SF is supposed to be able to do multi channal. But it crashes with the H6 in multichannal mode.

On 5/3/2019 11:00 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought upgrades were much cheaper under Sonic Foundry or whatever the original company was, but I guess that doesn't matter now. I will look for the VST information.

[...]

I was going to write down what I recall about those days but there’s little point since Sound Forge is now owned by Magix <smile>.

On 4 May 2019, at 1:21 am, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

Curtis Delzer

agree, I bought 12 and 13 together as an upgrade package this year for $199, but what can we do? Like you I've been using it since probably when it was Sonic Foundry 4.5 and then Sony 5.0? :)

I even did use it in windows 98 when it would do all kinds of weird things if you tried to do anything else with the processor.

 Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

On 5/3/2019 7:28 AM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
[...]

do you know how much the subscription service is?

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA